News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954 Cadillac Carb question

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, June 08, 2020, 11:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

Hey guys/gals,

I recently just purchased an original Carter WCFB for my 54 and I don’t know what the center port between the idle mixture screws goes to. I am assuming the port on the intake manifold goes to the vacuum advance?

The shop manual doesn’t address this either. I am desperately trying to get the car back to stock form.

Thanks!
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

J. Gomez

Quote from: 64/54Cadillacking on June 08, 2020, 11:22:10 AM
Hey guys/gals,

I recently just purchased an original Carter WCFB for my 54 and I don’t know what the center port between the idle mixture screws goes to. I am assuming the port on the intake manifold goes to the vacuum advance?

The shop manual doesn’t address this either. I am desperately trying to get the car back to stock form.

Thanks!

The center port at the throttle body should go to the distributor vacuum advance.   ;)

Hope this helps..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

64\/54Cadillacking

Ok great!

What kind of fitting can I use to connect to the carb port? Also where does vacuum line from the intake manifold go to?

Appreciate it. 8)
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Your going to have to figure out the fitting at the base of the carb....It depends on what size steel line your going to run back to the distributor.....

Leave some slack in that line you'll need it adjust the timing....

The manifold vacuum line connects to the brake booster.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

fishnjim

depends what vacuum advance you have, whether it has a threaded hole or tube end, ie, original v replaced?   There should be some photos online if not in the manual but I'd look in manual under dist/vacuum advance not vacuum or carb.   
Generally, the vacuum line is hard piped to the rear and then a hose goes from that line to the advance.   I made one myself, but had the fittings.   I think it's like 1/8" OD tubing, 1/8 NPT ends.  You do not want a large volume in this line, affects response time, so do not make it out of larger tubing.
A compression fitting to carb will do and a hose barb for the advance or you can slip 1/8 ID hose over cut ends of tubing.   You need to arrange it to be able to plug off the vacuum side for timing.   
Not sure what the '54 factory routing configuration as two '54 motors, 331 or 365?   Biggest question would be if it routes above or under the manifold?   I guess what you had is either missing or different so can't reuse?
ps:I'd guess you won't be happy with the early WCFB unless your engine is newly rebuilt and you can totally adjust it.   They changed them so many times til they gave up.   The later ones finally got it right.

Cadillac Fleetwood

My recollection is that the metal line extends from the carburetor toward the front of the car, making a broad "U-turn" curve to proceed rearward toward the distributor, passing underneath the intake manifold.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Lexi

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on June 08, 2020, 10:15:50 PM
My recollection is that the metal line extends from the carburetor toward the front of the car, making a broad "U-turn" curve to proceed rearward toward the distributor, passing underneath the intake manifold.

Charles Fares

That is the way it is on my '56. As Charles put it, a broad "U-turn" curve under the intake manifold to the vacuum advance connection at the distributor. Believe this is one single steel line when stock, though may be convenient to have the last 4" say, rubber tubing, for easier disconnect for when you adjust the timing. Clay/Lexi

64\/54Cadillacking

Ok guys, I took a picture of the threaded hole in the carb. The metal line that is on the intake manifold, I am assuming that goes to the vacuum advance? It does make a U turn going back to the distributor, but someone capped it off as they used an Edelbrock carb, in which a vac hose from the advance was routed to one of the ports to the Edelbrock carb.

Plus I found out that the vacuum advance is the wrong one, I had to buy an original 54 Delco Remy advance online, the reason why I found out it was the wrong one was that when I tried replacing the distributor cap, it wouldn’t fit flush. The old one has a part of the cap that was filed down on the sides in order for the cap to lay over the advance. The problem i have now is that their is a threaded hole in the advance and I don’t know what I can use to fit that hole so I can connect a hose to it.

I really believe the setup that was on the car before was making it run like crap. Plus the 1406 Edelbrock carb is way too big for the intake on the 331. After removing the carb, the intake ports are larger on the Edelbrock vs the Carter WCFB and the spacer they used is too high off the manifold thus the fuel isn’t making it down into the intake to burn fully and efficiently. Hopefully after i get everything setup back to stock form, the engine will run way better and the engine won’t shudder and idle so low that it stalls in drive.

Check out the pics.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Daryl Chesterman

If the female thread on the vacuum advance is inverted flare, you can go to your nearest auto parts supplier and ask for the shortest steel brake line they have in the size needed for the vacuum advance (I know that NAPA has 6 inch lines).  If you can take the vacuum advance with you, that would be best so that you can be sure of the fit.  The brake line will have a male inverted flare fitting for each end, and you can use a tubing cutter (best) or hacksaw to cut the line to the length you need and then use a piece of vacuum hose to connect the short steel line from the vacuum advance to the existing vacuum line from the intake manifold that has been capped off.  You might need to bend the short, new line from the vacuum advance to get a better angle for connecting the vacuum hose.  The vacuum hose will allow enough flexibility to adjust the timing on the distributor without binding.

Daryl Chesterman

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

We have a 55 but with the 4 jet carb. Vac advance comes out and runs under the intake. The fitting on the carb is a real pita to get in because of its location and angle. I don't know about your carb. Before you buy a nos advance, please allow me to point out my thinking. We had our advance rebuilt. I was concerned about a nos one because dry storage or not you are still dealing with a 50+ year old diaphragm.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

D.Yaros

I, and few others here, have had the distributor vacuum advance rebuilt by Terril Machine in TX.  They do a great job at a fair price!

Email:  terrillmachine@yahoo.com
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/