News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 Deville Convertible in need of mechanic

Started by JohnnyUtah, June 09, 2020, 07:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyUtah

Hello all,

I've owned her for about 3 years and have enjoyed every minute of it.  However, there's a problem and it needs attention. I recently found out that the fan clutch isn't working, don't know for how long. I'm afraid there's been some damage done from potential high temps, possibly a blown head gasket.

I don't know any local mechanics so I thought this forum might be a good resource.  I'm in the Middle Tennessee area and willing to travel to someone that knows a Cadillac 429.

Thanks
Hunter Shelden

Snibbor

Johnny,

Having same issue with my '67/429...Did you find a resolution?

TJ Hopland

I have not looked for a 67 specifically but I would not think finding a fan clutch would be that difficult since they tended to be somewhat of a universal fit item.  I think some are even shared across major brand families. They are also fairly easy to install and don't require special tools or skills.

As to damage hard to tell.  These engines are not known for head gasket issues but it depends on how hot you got it. At a high enough temp any engine can have issues.  What are the symptoms? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TD Alex

Hi Johnny Utah in Tennesse, I have a '67 sedan with 429ci.  I'm wondering if what you are experincing with overheating might be same as what happened with mine.  Being you mentioned head gasket and fan?  Simple question are you familiar with the timing cover that is sandwiched between the water pump and engine block?  That part cracked on my engine. Being unfamiliar with that achles heel of the '67 429. I didn't realize the coolant loss and overheating was coming from that part failure til it was too late.  I would be more than willing to help you avoid the thousands of dollars I have spent.

Regards Trent Alexander
1967 Sedan DeVille
2007 Jaguar XK Conv
1998 Land Rover Range Rover
1992 Alfa Romeo 164LS
1989 Alfa Romeo Spider
1985 Cadillac Eldorado
1972 Chevorlet Caprice Classic Convertable
1972 Buick Electra Custom Limited
1970 1/2 Volkswagon Karmen Ghia Convertable
1967 Ford LTD
1967 Volkswagon Micro Bus step thru