News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Car Covers

Started by Dulcidog2, June 09, 2020, 09:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulcidog2

Has anyone had good experiences with any cover vendors ? Looking for a cover for garage storage, not outside. Does anyone put the Cadillac logo on cover ?
Thanks,
Bill

z3skybolt

I have one from California Car Cover.  Very nice. Expensive. And they will put your logo on it. They made one for my 1940 LaSalle 5227( a Coupe). Fit perfectly. Something over $300.00 four years ago.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Cadman-iac

That's not a bad price for a custom form fitting car garage, so to speak.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Bob Kielar

I’ll second California car covers. I have had one for my 55 Fleetwood for over eight years still looks and performs perfectly. The only thing I had to do was cut the whole for the antenna no big deal.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

James Landi

Adding my "vote" for the California Cover---very soft, breathable material, and relatively dense and durable material.  Many less expensive covers are neither (soft/durable), and if left outside, quickly deteriorate. The several I've purchased have an elastic band on the perimeter and one grommeted midpoint on each side to serve as a tie down.  When the wind blows, this arrangement simply provides the cover to be airborne.  Happy day, James

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   i have a California cover and it is very good quality and is great for the long covering cycle . you probably need two people to cover the car .  i am looking for a rather inexpensive and light cover for the summer months that i can remove fast and store easily . Something  to keep the pollen off the car . Even though my car is in the garage the pollen still finds it way in . Any suggestions ? 

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

quadfins

I will also endorse California Car Covers.

They understood and were willing to accommodate additional reinforcement of the extreme rear corners, where the fins of my '61 puts additional pressure and potential tears through the cover. It was an additional expense, but worthwhile.

That cover has lasted 10 plus years, and only now is approaching replacement.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

35-709

For a dust & pollen cover for inside storage a WalMart cover should do just fine.
That said, I use these ---
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PACK-16-X-24-5-LARGE-CLEAR-PLASTIC-REUSEABLE-CAR-COVER-FREE-STORAGE-BAG/331460710601

Available in 3 different sizes.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I use a CoverKing for inside storage, very breathable, very cheap.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

rwchatham CLC 21892

California car covers are the best !
R. Waligora

wrench

Quote from: 35-709 on June 10, 2020, 09:52:55 AM
For a dust & pollen cover for inside storage a WalMart cover should do just fine.
That said, I use these ---
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PACK-16-X-24-5-LARGE-CLEAR-PLASTIC-REUSEABLE-CAR-COVER-FREE-STORAGE-BAG/331460710601

Available in 3 different sizes.

I use these too. I have regular car covers no brand I would recommend.

I would recommend these as I use them as dust, dirt, leaf, bird dropping, pollen and easily managed covers in between using the regular covers such as overnight in my driveway in low wind conditions.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Another vote for California Car Cover.  Their covers
are custom made to exactly fit your vehicle.  I have
one on my '73 Eldorado that's over 25 years old and
still in perfect shape.  Also one for my '55 Eldo and
my Escalade.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Halcyondays

I am pleased for all of you but your stories certainly leave me frustrated.  A while back, I contacted California Car Covers to buy one for my 1940 7567.  I told their rep that I expected this would necessarily be a custom cover since the cars are so rare.  For some reason, he had some trouble with the idea that a 6267 cover would not be OK.  We got past that and he requested a side picture.  I sent that evening and included a few measurements, such as total length and height.  Early the next morning, he phoned, thanked me for the pictures and said the design section would do their thing.  I would hear from him in a few days.  That represented the high point during this exercise.  After about a week and a half, I sent an email asking how we were doing.  Crickets.  About a week later, I repeated the question.  Nothing.
So I threw in the towel.  After my spring garden work is done, I plan to readdress the cover question.  Meantime, talk about frustration!
FWIW, here is the side shot I took for the cover order.  And an angle view I took just for the heck of it.
Frank
Frank Mudge
Sedro Woolley, WA

1940 C 7567 CCP
1967 Impala SS CCP

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

That's a really beautiful (and rare) car.  It's not likely
the fellow you talked to even realized what it was. 
I doubt that they get many requests for that model
since so few were made.

However, the fact that they didn't bother to return your
calls / E-Mails speaks poorly for their customer service. 
If they could not provide you with a cover at least they
should have told you so.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

James Landi

Frank, you're correct in bringing this matter forward.  Clearly, the California Cover company representative "over-promised" a custom fit that the company has no intention of making for you.  The representative should have reconnected with you immediately, and stated that much-- ignoring your initial contact is becoming an ever more common and seriously discourteous practice in corporate America, and it's disturbing that the employee didn't connect with you to apologize. You might consider connecting with a boat canvas  shop about crafting one that will fit your beautiful car. James

Mabruntan

It is not difficult to find a good car cover vendor. You just need to make sure that you read all the reviews and that the covers they make are multilayered

dinhnguyen57

I have my cars in my garage.  I also have all the nice expensive cad covers that's soft, durable, etc.

I end up using those disposable thin plastic car covers.  I like the fact that each time I walk in my garage, I can see the cars without taking the cover off.  I think

I do not know if rodents could potentially be an issue but the opaque covers makes it ideal for rodents to go to and make nests.

I find the thin clear disposable covers to not trap moisture or cause issues to the paint of chrome.  This is of course used only in a fully enclosed garage in Northern California where the temperature does not fluctuate too much and overall low humidity.

The price is somewhere between $5 and $10 per cover.  It has an elastic band at the bottom to hold the cover in place.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Mabruntan on July 13, 2022, 01:44:11 PMIt is not difficult to find a good car cover vendor. You just need to make sure that you read all the reviews and that the covers they make are multilayered
G'day Mae,

You have another email from the Moderators that does require your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eserissen

I did have some good experience with one of the vendors I've found online. I ordered a car cover that fits my car model perfectly, and it's one of the most important conditions for effective protection.  I ordered it from carAUTOcovers and made sure I ordered the one I needed. The cover I got has multiple layers that make the cover both waterproof and breathing. I mean that the water that has been on the car when I covered it can evaporate, and the car is not soaking wet. It's a very important notion because otherwise, a car cover can be harmful.

Cadillac Jack 82

My 55 stays uncovered in an enclosed garage but my 67 uses a California Car cover that's designed for the desert sun.  Works great!
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper