News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Car sale season?

Started by Cadman-iac, June 10, 2020, 10:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

I am just wondering about this since I have not been a member very long. But it seems as if there is a larger volume of vehicles for sale now that I hadn't seen earlier in the year.
Is the summer a better time to sell your car, or is this related more to the current state of affairs in the country? Or maybe the economy?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

35-709

Probably doesn't matter much in the south, but in the northern climes Spring and Summer are usually considered much better times to sell a car.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cadman-iac

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about weather being a factor, as it's not really one here in Arizona.
CLC# 32373

James Landi

Hate to sound like the prophet of doom, yet we're noting, on the CLC website, some exceptionally well preserved cars coming on line from, apparently, long time owners (old geezer like me?) who, given the state of the world (the plague, and their age), are attempting to find good homes for their treasures.  Clearly,  CLC is a narrow data point for sales, but there are some exceptionally well preserved and much loved cars showing up now.  Regarding the seasons, some of us dream of warm weather driving and convertibles during the depths of the winter, and adding my highly limited data point, sold four Cadillac convertibles during the winter months.  The good news if you're selling or shopping: the internet provides an extraordinary opportunity for marketing and purchasing, so in my limited experience, there's no time like the present to engage in either or both activities.  Happy day, James

Cadman-iac

Thanks James, 
I appreciate your point of view. No, I'm not really looking to sell mine, nor can I really afford to buy another at this time.
It's just that I had noticed a rather large number of cars being put up for sale, and just as you mentioned, because of the world situation, it got me thinking that maybe people were trying to unload before things get worse.
But then as was also mentioned, I never considered bad weather as a reason for the season, so to speak. Being here in Arizona, the season is year long.
I've never followed it before either, so it was kind of surprising to me.
Thanks again for your reply.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Big Apple Caddy

I hadn't really noticed a significant change in volume of cars for sale but if that is truly the case, there could be a few reasons behind it right now.
1.  Much of the country has been in some degree of lock down over the past couple of months and what you are seeing is essentially a backlog of cars that would've been put up for sale in March, April or May. 
2.  Due to economic factors, shutdowns, etc. cars aren't selling as fast as they would normally and therefore private party "inventory" is starting to pile up.
3.  Economic factors are forcing some to sell off assets.
4.  More people are working from home, perhaps indefinitely, and may not need that extra car and therefore are selling it.
5.  Millions of American received stimulus checks and perhaps some sellers are putting their cars up for sale now in hopes these folks will use that extra cash towards a car.

TJ Hopland

If you have the type of car a graduating high school student would be interested in now is a good time to sell one because they often have money from their graduation party or virtual party this year due to world events.   Not so much with college students since they tend to have loans to start paying off. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason