News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Series 75 Limos vs Sedans

Started by Anderson, June 10, 2020, 06:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anderson

Can anyone proffer a good source for a difference between the two?  I see that a bit over half of the 75s built in the 60s and 70s seem to have been "sedans" versus "limos", but I can't quite figure out how to sort the distinction between the two.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The main difference was the division window in the Series 75 Limousine and chauffeur compartment was upholstered in black leather. Front compartment in Series 75 Sedan was was upholstered in the same material as the rear compartment and did not have division window.

Series 75 designation was dropped after 1976 and the cars were subsequently called Fleetwood Limousine and Fleetwood Formal Limousine, the latter being the version with black front compartment & division window. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Fleetwood

A good source would be the Data Book, used by Cadillac salespeople on the showroom.  A quick rundown of the more obvious differences:
Limos have an interior partition from floor to ceiling separating the front and rear compartments. From the beltline up, through 1976,  is a retractable division window.  This was replaced with sliding windows in 1977 and later. Rather than seeing the back of the front seat while in the rear compartment, you see a decorated and trimmed partition.  Limos use a completely different front seat, which is trimmed in leather, in conservative pleats.  Owing to the partition, the seat backrest is shorter, and there is only a fore-and-aft adjustment, which is somewhat limited. In some years, the limos had a clock in the partition.  In a sedan, the standard front seat is used, a 6-way adjustment was available, and the front seat and front compartment were trimmed identically to the rear compartment almost all the time.  I say "almost all" because this could be changed by special order. In a Sedan, occupants of the rear compartment saw the backs of the conventional front seats, just like in an ordinary sedan.  Sedans did not have clocks in the rear compartment.

In a limo, the dash, door panels, leather front seat, and carpet were usually (but not always) black, while the rear compartment was available in blue, black, tan, taupe, grey, or whatever other colors and styles of cloth were being offered that year; even leather was available.  As a general rule, the same colors, fabrics, and leathers were available in both the limo and the Sedan.

Less evident were the differences in locks and electrical components.  In a limo, the driver's master window controls could raise, but not lower the rear door windows.  The power lock switch would lock, but not unlock the rear doors.  In a Sedan, these controls functioned in the conventional, expected manner.  The limos had a key lock on the RH rear door with its own special key; Sedans did not.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lexi

Charles is correct. When I bought my 1956 Series 75 I thought someone had screwed up the door locks, as well as the power windows that the front switch had reduced control over. But no, these as well as the Division glass window, were put in place for the VIPs in the back seat to maintain security of their items even when they were not in the car. Auxiliary seats were also included in Series 75 cars. There were also trim differences. One not mentioned is the steering wheel color. In my '56 Imperial I always thought it had a black wheel.The Master Parts List notes that the 1956 7533X came with either a "Black" or an "Imperial Dark Blue" steering wheel. When I looked more closely at mine, indeed it did prove to be an extremely dark cobalt like, blue color, (probably to match the exterior color of cobalt blue code #26). This color (at least for that year), was not offered with other models, (SOs perhaps aside). In contrast, the (non-limo) 1956 Series 75 8 Passenger Sedan was said to be outfitted with a "Light Gray" wheel, a color that was also shared with other Series cars that year. Other years show other variation preferences for Series 75 cars. My Series 75 has the upgraded radio which lacks the foot control female port-so you can't connect a floor signal seeking switch. Rather, that function was installed in the rear seat "salon" area for the VIP passenger to control, who could choose to over ride what the Chauffeur was listening to, and select their own station. This was done by pressing a lit red button on the arm rest radio on/off control panel to activate the signal seeker. Mine is still operational and works great. The Chauffeur could also be tuned out completely! My '56 as well as other years that I have seen also have curb lights built under the rear doors. At that time I do not believe that regular sedans had those-but I stand to be corrected. Outer "badging" & trim was also slightly different. Clay/Lexi

Jason Edge

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on June 10, 2020, 06:35:23 PM
Sedans did not have clocks in the rear compartment.
I can't speak for other years, but 1963/64/65 Series 75 Sedans had the rear clock. If memory serves, 1962 and prior Series 75 Sedan's also had the rear clocks, so assume the no rear clocks for the Series 75 Sedans was a later change.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

D.Smith

Quote from: Anderson on June 10, 2020, 06:13:23 PM
Can anyone proffer a good source for a difference between the two?  I see that a bit over half of the 75s built in the 60s and 70s seem to have been "sedans" versus "limos", but I can't quite figure out how to sort the distinction between the two.

Differences change over the years.  So it is hard to explain them all.

But as pointed out, the Limousines had a partition behind the drivers seat to separate the driver from the passengers.  Traditionally the front seat and compartment was trimmed in black leather.  The rear compartment trimmed in fabric or leather and in any color as the owner wanted.   There are variations of course as you could special order a matching front compartment in a limousine.

The Nine passenger sedans had no partition.  The front compartment was trimmed in the same material and color as the rear.

One of the differences between the two in mid 60s to mid 70s was how the limousine offered protection to the rear passengers.  The driver could not lower or raise the partition window.    The driver could not lower the rear windows from his controls on the drivers door.  He could only raise them in case they were left open.  Incase of rain, car wash etc.   The driver could not unlock the rear doors on the limousine version either.  The owner was provided a unique third key that unlocked the rear doors.   This was so the owner could be safe from a rouge driver.   Once in back you could lock yourself in and not have the paparazzi open a door and harass you. 

Climate control became standard in the Series 75s in 1966.   The rear seat panel would override the front controls.    Same with the radio if so equipped.   

Roof options were numerous on both the limo and nine passenger sedans.  From no vinyl top, to a full top, landau roofs etc. 

This all changed in 1977 when even these big cars were downsized.   The Series 75 name and nine passenger sedan was dropped.    There were still two models offered, both with jump seats and both were now called "Limousines".  The one with the partition was now called the "Fleetwood Formal Limousine".   

cadillacmike68

The limos from the later 1960s through probably 1976 also had a rear radio control so the rear seat could control the radio. Not available on the sedans
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike