1949 Series 6207 Radial Tires

Started by kens49Caddy, June 13, 2020, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kens49Caddy

Hi - I'm replacing my existing bias ply tires with new radials after many years of good service. I purchased my originals from Coker Tires many years ago and they performed well. I'm also looking at the Diamondback tires and they recommended the 820R15 as a good replacement.

My 1949 Cadillac Shop Manual specifications indicate the 8:20x15, so that looks like a good match if comparable.

Does anyone recall if radials will result in a deduction of points when entering your vehicle into the Club's national judging competition? If so, I guess you would need to swap out the tires. Thoughts? 

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ken,

Don't forget that following the change to radials, you will need to have a wheel alignment to get the best from the Radials.

The Factory Specifications are not fully compatible with Radials.

An older Wheel Alignment facility, or one with reasonably-aged operators should know what is required, as one can't simply go by the computer directions.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jay Friedman

Yes, radials will result in a deduction of points when entering a vehicle into the Club's Grand National judging competition.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

jdemerson

Quote from: Jay Friedman on June 13, 2020, 11:49:29 PM
Yes, radials will result in a deduction of points when entering a vehicle into the Club's Grand National judging competition.

Jay is correct for all cars entered in Primary Division Classes. In Touring Division Classes, there is no longer a deduction for radials on cars originally equipped with bias-ply tires; the radials must be the equivalent size as the original (or optional) bias-ply tires. The Touring Division Class also allows conversion from 6-volt to 12 -volt and conversion from drum brakes to disc brakes. These changes were all first in effect in 2019.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn