News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Putting a car 'on blocks', where did you put the blocks?

Started by TJ Hopland, June 14, 2020, 12:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I never really thought about it before but was watching one of the stupid overly scripted reality car shows and their latest not staged or scripted barn find and noticed that the blocks were under the axles.   Was that typically where the blocks were placed?  I assume the thinking there was just to get the tires off the ground because you would not be doing anything for the springs.

Was there ever any thought to getting weight off the springs too?  In the blocking heyday all cars had frames so there was less concern about the car deforming from being supported from other than the suspension?   I know modern unibody cars are super stiff but from what I have seen the earlier unibody and the odd sub frame unibody mixes we had in the 60's and 70's looked like deformation should have been a real concern.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

You have two ways to go.
If you put blocks or jack stands under the frame and let the suspension hang then you take the weight and the load off of the springs and the shocks are fully extended.

If you only want to keep the tires from developing flat spots you can put blocks or jack stands under the front suspension and rear axle and the weight is still on the suspension but off of the tires.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, taking the weight off the tyres also takes the load from the axle races.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Was there an actual concern about weight on the bearings?  Concern about flat spots there too?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

I just don't like the idea of these poor little parts being subjected to weight just being on them for years at a time.

But then, I don't put cars up on blocks as they take too long to get them off the blocks to use them.

My own '72 hasn't been used for nearly 5 months, and that is simply because of the current restrictions, but when I do start her up, it will be a gulp of petrol down the throat, air cleaner lid back on, and away we go.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillac ken

Never understood the idea of "putting it up on blocks".  Doesn't seem to accomplish anything.  Rodents will still climb, shocks will still dry out at the seals, and if you are putting the car on blocks as in storage, I think we can safely assume that after an extended stay on the blocks, the tires will not be safe to use.   ???

fishnjim

Got rained out today, so doing the unthinkable...   I think you assume too much.   Many are left but never intended to be.   In my own case, it was 4 years since I was able to get back to working on it/back on the ground.   Still not reliable, but mobile.   And my other hot rod rescue project sits, in lieu of this "driver".   Never intended that, life interfered. 
I used to have a friend that insisted the bearings would get "flat spots" if you store with weight on the axle, even over the winter.   Has anyone ever seen a bearing that had flat spots?   If they were that soft, they'd be full of little pock marks from every time the car set for a while.  Most are roller bearings these days, too.  So load is more distributed than point contact of ball.   They are made of very hard tough metal intended for the load and service.   I think that's an old mechanic's tale.   Folklore perpetuated by motorheads.
I've seen the old bias nylon cord tires get flat spots, even just sitting in cold weather.  I won't go into the tire age, that one's firmly established.
I think there's better stability of the load, to work under, if you prop from the frame and let the axles/A arms dangle.   If you jack on suspension, the body can still rock/roll/tip with the springs, plus less room to work around the wheel wells.   Better for body work too.   And if you want to work on the A arm or axle, it's in the way and has to be resupported.
The term "block", came from concrete blocks and other wood cribbing, which I don't recommend, if you're working under a car.   But we all know it's too common.   Before lifts, they had "pits".   You drove over and worked from below.   We had one in our circa 1920, gas station.   
Not a good place to be, if you were tall, a leak or fire erupted.   Plus they still had to jack up.   They used one of those big hydraulic bumper jacks with the stops.   Very sturdy device.   Not too common anymore.   Be safe out there, jacking around.

TJ Hopland

What was the lifespan of a tire in the early days of cars?  How about depression to WW2?   50's?  60's?

I would assume in the very early days you were not going fast enough for safety related to a high speed blow out to be a concern plus I would guess a replacement tire wasn't easy to come by so I imagine if it was holding together at all it was considered still usable?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

z3skybolt

For long term storage.....putting a vehicle "up on blocks" worked for me.  I stored my 1985 Cadillac "competition" vehicle up on blocks, in a farm equipment shed, for 15 consecutive years.   

The building had a concrete floor. I elevated the car so that the tires did not touch the floor and allowed the car to sit on concrete blocks.  Then I placed 16" high strips of aluminum in a closed circle around the tires and concrete blocks.  Rodents could not climb the barrier and not one ever made it into my vehicle.

In addition, since the tires were off the ground, I would start the car every 6 months or so and run it for an extended period :30 minutes or more. I would run through all the gears, fast enough to shift into all ranges: steer full range, exercise the brakes, air conditioner, radio, fans, lights, door locks, horn, power seats....everything I could think of.

After 15 years I brought it home....changed the oil, had a tune up done and have driven it about 1,500 miles per year for the past five years. No issues at all.  And by the way it still has the U.S. Royal tires on it from 1997.  Yeah I know. But not one has blown out yet....nor do they show any cracking.

Short term storage?  I guess my posting adds nothing other than the suggestion to put the aluminum strip barriers around the tires and blocks.  No rodents....period. I have used the same technique with my airplanes.... surrounding the tires, even while they sit on the hangar floor.  After 36 years I have never had a rodent gain entry.

Good Luck,

bob r.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

cadillac ken

Quote from: TJ Hopland on June 16, 2020, 09:42:13 AM
What was the lifespan of a tire in the early days of cars?  How about depression to WW2?   50's?  60's?

I would assume in the very early days you were not going fast enough for safety related to a high speed blow out to be a concern plus I would guess a replacement tire wasn't easy to come by so I imagine if it was holding together at all it was considered still usable?
Well, yes, all good points.  But with that said, the quality of today's tires sadly is not so good as it used to be.  Most places have to honor the date of manufacture on the tire and it's my understanding most tires 4 to 5 years old are considered a risk.  They don't make 'em like they used to I guess.

I've even had tire stores now refuse to mount "rollers" for my shop projects if they are past date.  Never used to run into this 20 years ago. 

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty