News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Are late model (used) Cadillacs any good? Specifically 2019 XTS.

Started by chrisntam, June 14, 2020, 03:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Bankrupt Hertz is selling off their fleet and they have some XTSs for sale, range in miles is 15k to 30k with prices in the low to high $20s.

Are these still problematic in this year model?  I know in prior discussions, XTSs were to be avoided.  If I bought one, I'd keep it until the wheels fell off or until it's no longer dependable (15 to 20 years).  Extended warranties can be bought but only for up to 6 years?

Not really needing a car, but looking anyway.  If I did get one, I'd like it fully optioned...

Thoughts?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Big Apple Caddy

If you haven't already, I'd suggest going to other Cadillac forums that focus more on newer cars.  You'll be able to get/read much more information and feedback there.

As far as Hertz goes, you're not going to get a "fully optioned" car from them as they tend to deal in lower option lower trim cars.  A fully optioned XTS would be a Platinum or V-Sport Platinum which will be more expensive and harder to find (especially as a 2019) than an XTS Luxury.  I imagine 2019 Platinums will be hard to find even at Cadillac dealerships.

You can get good deals on "Certified Pre-Owned" at Cadillac dealerships too.  Even if the advertised price is higher than Hertz, Enterprise, etc., it is likely going to be negotiable unlike the rental companies which tend to have firm prices.  Regardless of where you shop, any used 2019 XTS for sale right now is probably going to be a former fleet/rental car.

Scot Minesinger

Plus, I would never buy from a rental car company.  They have been smoked in and generally suffer an abusive driving history (short trips, different drivers, and etc.).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

Our family (us & my folks) has bought four prior rentals, '09 Lincoln Town Car, '09 Ford Edge, '11 Chevy Impala and a '14 Ford Fusion.  All were purchased with extended warranties, have had 0 problems with anything related to them being prior rental cars.

Just my experience, but I understand the "hey it's not my car, let's thrash it" part....

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

scotth3886

They just built 725 of these from Nov to March. 

https://youtu.be/nCQZPkquveM

Germain here in Columbus got one of four pearl red ones.  Just insane sound.  Almost did it, but bought the 66 Fleetwood instead

fishnjim

Treat it like any other used car purchase.  Check NADA and other price guides.   Inspect it, have it checked, and weigh the price vs the cost of repairs/book value and see what value it is.   You won't find gold, shying away from prospecting.
I looked/tried to deal on an unsold/leftover one, when I leased the '20 XT5, dealer just couldn't make fair price, plus had a few thousand test drive miles, aka "used".   They're pretty much all the same now anyway.   Just more trim and electronics.

64\/54Cadillacking

As far as cars go, the only GM makes that I was considering when buying a used car was the Chevy Impala with 3.6 V6 engine. The reason being was that I wanted the largest sedan currently being made on the market that had the latest features and great reliability ratings, which also looked nice. Most of the midsize sedans out there are  freakish transformer looking type robot of a car, but not the Impala. So the Impala was it for me especially for the price used.

Now the XTS is simply a much nicer Impala. GM did a very good job on this platform in terms of reliability and ride quality.

Will the car ride like a typical old school Cadillac? Nope. I don’t think any Caddy made today will ever ride or feel like the old big Cads of the past. You can’t replicate an isolated ride that is very smooth over bumps and doesn’t transmit road harshness into the cabin in a FWD sedan with a short wheelbase and unibody construction.

Other than that I would say they are good cars and I wouldn’t mind an all black one!

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

2 Devilles

It depends on how long you are wanting to keep the car, or any new vehicle for that matter.  Much of the electronics now run through the touch screen, including the ECM on many new cars.  So once your touch screen interface goes bad (which they do), you're left with an inop vehicle.  As I mentioned on a couple other threads, I run the service department at a large Chevy/Caddy dealership.  We do 100+ cars through the shop a day.  If you're planning on keeping a car forever like we used to do, don't buy a new anything regardless of brand.  If you're planning on keeping it until the warranty runs out, then buying/leasing another, and so on, they're all fine.
Lucas Johnson

1960 Coupe Deville
1970 Coupe Deville
1972 Mach 1 Mustang
1974 F100 2wd
1977 F250 Highboy
1994 F250 4x4

Clewisiii

I love my XTS.    But I have had to replace 3 wheel bearings. Good thing is the bearing is the same on all four wheels.

I did replace my transmission out of an abundance of caution at 150,000 miles. 

I like having a bigger modern car sedan.  When I take customers out to lunch they are always comfortable in the back of the XTS. It is actually roomier then many of my works SUVs.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

My XTS is a 2014. I would happily buy a 2018 or 19 used when it is time to replace it. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Big Apple Caddy

Many livery companies have used XTSs in their fleet and pile on over 50,000 miles a year. 

James Landi

Lucas, of 2 DeVilles provides sound, experiential  advice. A manufacturer's warranty provides you with peace of mind that, while costing more to purchase in a late model, low mileage used car, is well worth the money when and if something major fails.  Many sad stories, as he mentioned, of integrated circuitry that have a limited service life, and are "no longer in stock or available or have techs who know how to diagnose some of the more esoteric challenges that arise. We absolutely love our XLR, but we recite silent prayers every time the top works flawlessly. Many sad tales of owners who get the "royal treatment" for relatively minor parts or adjustments that play major roles in system functions.  Get the G.M. warranty.  James

dinhnguyen57

If you can not get a factor GM warranty, there are the after market warranties but I personally have not have a good experience with them.  The dealerships also tell me despite being advertised as comprehensive, the dealerships get denied frequently on many repairs that should be covered.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

2 Devilles

Yes, aftermarket warranties often only cover the powertrain itself, and many are extremely difficult to deal with and get things covered for our customers.  I promise, we try our best, but they make up any excuse they can to deny a claim.  Funny you mentioned your XLR top, James.  Just got done going through one in the shop, took 2 full days to diag, and I had my best electrical guy on it.  Can't charge the customer 16 hours at $135/hr., but you have to do a happy medium because the techs are flat rate and need to eat as well.  It is a tough position for the dealer and the customer both to be in, and being an old car guy myself who doesn't own anything made in this millennium, I'm very wary of anything made in the last 20 years that I can't fix myself at home.
Lucas Johnson

1960 Coupe Deville
1970 Coupe Deville
1972 Mach 1 Mustang
1974 F100 2wd
1977 F250 Highboy
1994 F250 4x4

2 Devilles

All that said, they are all fantastic cars to own while something hasn't gone wrong with them.  I'd own a CTS-V if it was something I thought I'd hold onto for forever.  Or a CT-6.
Lucas Johnson

1960 Coupe Deville
1970 Coupe Deville
1972 Mach 1 Mustang
1974 F100 2wd
1977 F250 Highboy
1994 F250 4x4

greatness1987

My opinion: I would buy it. The 2019 Cadillac XTS gives you more than enough space. While the XTS is built to provide hours of comfort on the road, it's still sporty enough to keep you happy. This is especially true for the more powerful Platinum V-Sport model. However, for me here is a con to buy it: even with more than 300 horsepower on tap, the base V6 engine feels a bit exhausted when hauling around five passengers and cargo. You will feel the sedan's more sluggish acceleration around town. An extra 30 horsepower would be more than welcomed. Well, it's up to you anyway. I would buy a second-hand car, but first would use a fast vin decoder, to check the car properly. Good luck!

walt chomosh #23510

The rental car companies rarely have Platinum of Premium Luxury models available. (I know I've been looking) What research I've did told me that XTS is a great, reliable sedan. To find the "right" low mile "creampuff" in an acceptable color is hard......walt...tulsa,ok

chrisntam

I ended up ordering a 2021 American made sports car (hard top convertible), built in Bowling Green, Kentucky.  Hope to have it summer or fall of '21.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty