News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1964 429 aftermarket intake gaskets w/o pre heat hole questions.

Started by M123, June 15, 2020, 05:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M123

Hi.

Didn't get hold on any original gaskets so did have to buy intake gaskets w/o holes for the pre heat and exhaust equalization.
Now the dealer say you can do own hole and it's works for some customers but my question are, if I don't make the holes can a equalization on the exhaust system do the same work or do the 429 need this function to be done in the intake for it to run properly?

I have two  pipes on my car and will later on build a new system, my system now look like 7 hard years and did have already have in mind to have a pipe between them.

Have anyone here put on same type gaskets and how did you do with the hole? And how do you experiencing them vs original gaskets in performance on the engine?

Thanks.
1964 Cadillac Series 62 4 Door 4 Window production number 842
1967 Chevrolet Camaro rs 350/M20
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3 Victory Red

//Nomen Nescio

cadillacmike68

Depends on where you are. If you are where it gets cold (not florida cold, but real cold) then you will want to under the manifold crossover.

Down here in FL, on all but the absolute coldest "Florida cold" days, my valve is still open on the exhaust pipe, so it is never in operation. I Could have the passages sealed off and the valve made to stay permanently open (or replaced with a pass thru) and it would operate fine. But If I ever went up north in the winter (fat chance) It would be a beast to get warmed up properly.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree that the cross-over, under the Carby, needs to be there for initial warming up in frigid weather, but I have removed the crossover by blocking the ports off.

But, installing a Balance Pipe in the exhaust system near the Transmission in a dual exhaust system will help in the sound.

If you are running a single system, then no need for the Balance pipe.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

M123

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on June 16, 2020, 02:18:19 AM
Depends on where you are. If you are where it gets cold (not florida cold, but real cold) then you will want to under the manifold crossover.

Down here in FL, on all but the absolute coldest "Florida cold" days, my valve is still open on the exhaust pipe, so it is never in operation. I Could have the passages sealed off and the valve made to stay permanently open (or replaced with a pass thru) and it would operate fine. But If I ever went up north in the winter (fat chance) It would be a beast to get warmed up properly.
Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on June 16, 2020, 03:00:20 AM
I agree that the cross-over, under the Carby, needs to be there for initial warming up in frigid weather, but I have removed the crossover by blocking the ports off.

But, installing a Balance Pipe in the exhaust system near the Transmission in a dual exhaust system will help in the sound.

If you are running a single system, then no need for the Balance pipe.

Thank you guys for the input.
I don't use the car when it's cold and definitely not in winter because of all the salt on the roads here, so will not need any heating.
And I do have a double exhaust all the way from the exhaust manifold's, but as mentioned I will build me a new one and from what I can read out here I will build a pipe between them somewhere.

Thanks. :)

//Nomen Nescio

The Tassie Devil(le)

The crossover/balance tube, needs to be as close to the exhaust manifolds as possible, without being stupid.

Here is what I did on my '72, bearing in mind that it was FWD.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

M123

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on June 16, 2020, 03:44:32 AM
The crossover/balance tube, needs to be as close to the exhaust manifolds as possible, without being stupid.

Here is what I did on my '72, bearing in mind that it was FWD.

Your system look "swell" as Boyd would say.
Yeah but under the 64 it's not much room to work with, now I haven't other then looked at it but seems like best place for a crossover are in front of the engine and that ain't so far away from the exhaust ports.

Thanks for your input. :)

//Nomen Nescio

The Tassie Devil(le)

The cross-over, or Balance Pipe as it is correctly called is best placed at the back of the transmission if there is no easier place to put it.   There should be space between the back of the transmission case and the tailshaft.

BUT, if you cannot do it, there is no real problem, just a different exhaust "note"

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe