News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Blackwing V8 Engine -- interesting story and backdrop

Started by jdemerson, June 16, 2020, 11:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

scotth3886

Quote from: jdemerson on June 16, 2020, 11:31:42 AM
Cadillac Blackwing V8 Engine -- interesting story and backdrop -- for all the CLC members that are fans of Cadillac-built V8s.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a32718026/what-happened-to-the-cadillac-blackwing-v-8/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=061620&utm_campaign=nl20443596&utm_term=AAA%20--%20High%20Minus%20Dormant%20and%2090%20Day%20Non%20Openers

Too bad!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan  6219X

I just posted the below in another thread about Gale Banks' new CT6 V Blackwing.  What a sound though !!!   Even better in person.

https://youtu.be/nCQZPkquveM

Germain Cadillac got one of four pearl red ones made and I came very close, but bought my 66 Fleetwood instead.  By the time I'm done, I'll have just as much in the Fleetwood.

Big Apple Caddy

Although the CT6-V Blackwing engine may be gone, there are still expected to be "Blackwing" versions of the CT4-V and CT5-V arriving next year.  The CT4-V Blackwing will be a V6 but the CT5-V Blackwing is to be a supercharged 6.2L V8 with around 650 horsepower.

More and more focus, however, will be on electrification of the brand going forward.  Not too far down the road, "Blackwing" models will probably be electric and hopefully offer similar acceleration/performance numbers as EVs like the Tesla Model S.

scotth3886

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on June 16, 2020, 01:10:26 PM
Although the CT6-V Blackwing engine may be gone, there are still expected to be "Blackwing" versions of the CT4-V and CT5-V arriving next year. The CT4-V Blackwing will be a V6 but the CT5-V Blackwing is to be a supercharged 6.2L V8 with around 650 horsepower.

More and more focus, however, will be on electrification of the brand going forward.  Not too far down the road, "Blackwing" models will probably be electric and hopefully offer similar acceleration/performance numbers as EVs like the Tesla Model S.

Existing 6.2 V for the CT5 Blackwing and twin turbo 3.0 for the CT4 Blackwing.  New introductions are delayed a bit because of Covid 19 soon to be Covid 20 with the new model year.

MaR

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on June 16, 2020, 01:10:26 PM
Although the CT6-V Blackwing engine may be gone, there are still expected to be "Blackwing" versions of the CT4-V and CT5-V arriving next year.  The CT4-V Blackwing will be a V6 but the CT5-V Blackwing is to be a supercharged 6.2L V8 with around 650 horsepower.

The only problems is that the leaders of these divisions never stay long enough to fully implement whatever radical changes the deem necessary to make the brand successful.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: scotth3886 on June 16, 2020, 01:22:19 PM
Existing 6.2 V for the CT5 Blackwing and twin turbo 3.0 for the CT4 Blackwing.

Existing but updated/modified a bit plus will now be mated to a 10-speed automatic or 6-speed manual.  The 6.2L equipped CT5-V Blackwing is expected to have slightly more horsepower, better acceleration, better MPG.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: MaR on June 16, 2020, 01:52:40 PM
The only problems is that the leaders of these divisions never stay long enough to fully implement whatever radical changes the deem necessary to make the brand successful.

That can sometimes be an issue but I think the overall industry shift towards electrification will be significant enough that if Steve Carlisle and/or Mary Barra were to soon leave, the company/division would want the chosen successor(s) to be largely on board with the EV path in place.

MaR

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on June 16, 2020, 03:29:58 PM
That can sometimes be an issue but I think the overall industry shift towards electrification will be significant enough that if Steve Carlisle and/or Mary Barra were to soon leave, the company/division would want the chosen successor(s) to be largely on board with the EV path in place.
If they don't get serious soon though, there won't be anything left to save.

scotth3886

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on June 16, 2020, 03:29:58 PM

True. 

The CT6 V Blackwing was Johan's baby.  I'm sure Mark was a big fan too, but outside of those two, not all that much support. 

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: MaR on June 16, 2020, 04:32:30 PM
If they don't get serious soon though, there won't be anything left to save.

I think there's time.  Despite all of the attention, EVs still only account for a small portion of total new car sales.  Tesla, of course, being the dominant player right now and having a huge market cap.

Even though Tesla does have a jump on everybody and there are many fanatical Tesla owners that feel the company can do no wrong, there are also a growing number of owners fed up with the company's customer service and quality issues.  These dissatisfied Tesla owners will be ready to buy elsewhere.

Cadillac, Lincoln, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, etc.  all have the potential to compete just as well as they've done in the past with ICE vehicles.

scotth3886

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on June 16, 2020, 07:03:39 PM
I think there's time.  Despite all of the attention, EVs still only account for a small portion of total new car sales.  Tesla, of course, being the dominant player right now and having a huge market cap.

Even though Tesla does have a jump on everybody and there are many fanatical Tesla owners that feel the company can do no wrong, there are also a growing number of owners fed up with the company's customer service and quality issues.  These dissatisfied Tesla owners will be ready to buy elsewhere.

Cadillac, Lincoln, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, etc.  all have the potential to compete just as well as they've done in the past with ICE vehicles.

And of the above, the company in the biggest hurry to put the ICE on ice is Cadillac.  Too bad. 

5390john

10 years from now the ICE will be widely considered a buggy whip; an item that was once important and commonly used but now largely obsolete.
Electric vehicles are just now starting to become more useful because of rapidly increasing cruising range. It won't be long before 400 to 500 mile cruising range will be commonly available.
Combining acceptable cruising range with EV's inherent performance advantages will make "performance" cars with ICE's seem like Indy roadsters in the mid-60's after rear engined cars blew them off the track, they just won't be competitive in the marketplace any more.
The Blackwing is totally cool, but it's probably the end of the line for a high performance ICE. In the not too distant future, a high performance EV will blow it off the road.
If you were Mary Barra, or her counterpart at another car mfr, the right decision is to go full blast on EV's. They know that; remember the big layoff GM had a year or two ago? A huge number of powertrain engineers were cut loose.
Very soon, a new golden age of high performance cars will arrive! I can't wait!!!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

chrisntam

We gotta build infrastructure for EVs (charging stations), otherwise it's a no for me.  You can't (easily) drive an EV from NY to LA like you can an ICE car now.

Build the charging stations and have a quick charge (or a way to charge the batteries while driving) available and I'll consider one.

Around town and close to home (charging station) an EV is ok.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

scotth3886

I almost went hybrid this time for a daily diver because the small displacement turbo 4 gets such bad gas real world mileage for a 1.5L.  EPA ratings looked pretty decent at 28 / 34, but it won't touch even it's city rating.  Had I known what fuel economy it really got, I would have. 

For an EV, it would have to be able to do an entire day's drive for me to consider it, such as getting me all the way to the Mecum auction in Kissimmee from C-Bus, 1,086 miles on one charge.  I have little doubt that the range will get there in a couple of decades, but until then I'll stick with ICE or hybrid. 

39Flathead

Quote from: scotth3886 on June 17, 2020, 04:10:55 AM
I almost went hybrid this time for a daily diver because the small displacement turbo 4 gets such bad gas real world mileage for a 1.5L.  EPA ratings looked pretty decent at 28 / 34, but it won't touch even it's city rating.  Had I known what fuel economy it really got, I would have. 

For an EV, it would have to be able to do an entire day's drive for me to consider it, such as getting me all the way to the Mecum auction in Kissimmee from C-Bus, 1,086 miles on one charge.  I have little doubt that the range will get there in a couple of decades, but until then I'll stick with ICE or hybrid.

Seems so odd to me that the requirement for being interested in an EV is the ability to go almost 3x further than an ICE car will go on a single tank. A normal car would stop maybe twice, maybe 3 times on that journey. If I was driving 1000 miles in a day, which I have, I would likely stop for lunch at some point. That 30 minute lunch would be a full recharge of the battery for a couple bucks. I can drive from my house to Vegas, or the 500 miles to Tahoe, on a full charge and a 20 minute lunch break.

MaR

Quote from: 39Flathead on June 17, 2020, 10:32:34 AM
Seems so odd to me that the requirement for being interested in an EV is the ability to go almost 3x further than an ICE car will go on a single tank. A normal car would stop maybe twice, maybe 3 times on that journey. If I was driving 1000 miles in a day, which I have, I would likely stop for lunch at some point. That 30 minute lunch would be a full recharge of the battery for a couple bucks. I can drive from my house to Vegas, or the 500 miles to Tahoe, on a full charge and a 20 minute lunch break.
I have taken many, many 500 mile trips in our EVs and these days, they add 0 time to the overall trip. One stop to charge, change drivers and eat lunch and you are back on the road. In our previous car, it was a stop to fuel up, change drivers and eat lunch.

scotth3886

I guess that's sorta of how much I really don't want them.  I can fill an ICE in 5 minutes or so, pee then back on the road. 

Maybe this comes from 30+ years experience with metro LA traffic, but when I leave on a long trip, I leave at 2:00 or 3:00AM so not quite lunch time by that first 'fill up'.  When we left for Mecum Kissimmee we left left C-Bus at 3:00AM and were in Kissimmee at around 5:00PM for the 1,086 miles.  So except for the state of Virginia, we rolled.

One motivation for really quick pit stops is NOT get back behind the same left-lane bandits again.

Big Apple Caddy

What type of EV do you have that can get a "full charge" in just 20-30 minutes?  Is it a small battery plug-in hybrid?

While I agree that waiting for a 1,000+ mile range car is unnecessary, a truly full charge (e.g., going from 10% to 100%) in a decent range BEV today in just 20-30 minutes is very unlikely even on a typical Tesla supercharger.  It's generally not advisable to charge to 100% anyway unless you have the time as the last 10%-20% can potentially take as long as the first 70%-80%.  A 1,000 mile trip in today's longest range BEV (around 400 miles for current Model S Long Range Plus) will take multiple stops.  At least a couple of the stops could be in conjunction with a breakfast/lunch/dinner break assuming the supercharger is near a restaurant but overall it will add time.

For those who regularly take long trips, I think PHEVs are still the better bet right now as they offer the benefit of plug-in electric efficiency (particularly for short distance in town use) along with ICE fast fueling ability when traveling long distances.  The industry seems to be wanting to quickly move towards full electric, however.  The upcoming Cadillac Lyriq and Celestiq will be fully electric.

MaR

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on June 17, 2020, 12:22:51 PM
What type of EV do you have that can get a "full charge" in just 20-30 minutes?  Is it a small battery plug-in hybrid?

While I agree that waiting for a 1,000+ mile range car is unnecessary, a truly full charge (e.g., going from 10% to 100%) in a decent range BEV today in just 20-30 minutes is very unlikely even on a typical Tesla supercharger.  It's generally not advisable to charge to 100% anyway unless you have the time as the last 10%-20% can potentially take as long as the first 70%-80%.  A 1,000 mile trip in today's longest range BEV (around 400 miles for current Model S Long Range Plus) will take multiple stops.  At least a couple of the stops could be in conjunction with a breakfast/lunch/dinner break assuming the supercharger is near a restaurant but overall it will add time.

For those who regularly take long trips, I think PHEVs are still the better bet right now as they offer the benefit of plug-in electric efficiency (particularly for short distance in town use) along with ICE fast fueling ability when traveling long distances.  The industry seems to be wanting to quickly move towards full electric, however.  The upcoming Cadillac Lyriq and Celestiq will be fully electric.
10% to 85% in my wife's car is 22 minutes on average. After 85%, your time is better spent moving on and stopping again for 10 minutes.