News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 Cadillac Flathead

Started by belbin, June 18, 2020, 02:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belbin

I have purchased a 1937 Cadillac Flathead. I want to put it in a 1929 Model A open cab pickup. This will be a show truck so I need the engine to be the same. I would appreciated any recommendations.

Thank you,

Bob

G Pennington

How original do you intend on keeping the engine?  Specifically, what do you intend to do with the exhaust?  Headers are challenging because the exhaust ports are on the top of the block. 
If you search this forum you will see many threads on the 37-48 flatties.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

belbin

Thanks for the reply. Not exactly sure what I want but am thinking about (3) 2 barrels, blower, or fuel injection. I understand about the exhaust, probably have custom set of headers made. I will look around the forum for more info.

Thanks again,

Bob

carlhungness

I have never seen a tri-carb manifold for a Cad flathead and if you find a dual
carb unit it will be pricey. I've also seen a blown flathead and there may be some
info on the Modified Cad Forum if it is still up.
      Do some internet searching and you can probably find some new aluminum
heads being made for this engine. I don't have the info at hand, but I was
going to put a flathead in my own '37 and did find some repro aluminum heads.
Then I recalled all the times I had vapor lock and rear main seal leaks, so I
decided to put a 500" Cad in the car and now working on it.
     Personally I don't think you're making the best choice for a street rod engine
for your Model A as these things can run hot very easily, get lousy gas mileage
and you can't make them look near as cool as a Ford Flathead. Then you have to
consider a transmission and some up front suspension to hold the whole plot up.
     I think you'd be happier with a 59AB Ford block all dolled up.

carlhungness

I just noticed that YOU are the man I sold my flathead to, so all I've said in the
post is what you've heard from me previously.
     I did not realize you are building a SHOW vehicle, which is a whole different
kettle of fish.
     For Show, you'll get a lot of "That looks different," so you can eliminate most of
my comments.
      Good luck with the project and I'll keep an eye peeled for goodies you can use.

39Flathead

Quote from: belbin on June 18, 2020, 07:44:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. Not exactly sure what I want but am thinking about (3) 2 barrels, blower, or fuel injection. I understand about the exhaust, probably have custom set of headers made. I will look around the forum for more info.

Thanks again,

Bob

I have the CAD file for the intake/exhaust flange if needed.

carlhungness

One's imagination can certainly be entertained when thinking of how to build an exhaust system for a Cadillac flathead powered Model A that is being built as a piece of art.
       Individual exhausts running over fenders? Cord style flex pipe? Chromed, painted, sculpted, and on and on.