News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Indy Wagon

Started by gross707, June 21, 2020, 07:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gross707

Factory built ‘69 wagon?
That’s what the owner claims...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-cadillac-deville-hardtop-wagon/
Gerald Ross

D.Smith

Quote from: gross707 on June 21, 2020, 07:06:37 AM
Factory built ‘69 wagon?
That’s what the owner claims...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-cadillac-deville-hardtop-wagon/

"I read it on the internet so it has to be true" 

76Caddy

Correct me if I'm wrong...that's a '70 front clip, not just a '70 grill as indicated.  Is that not a '70 instrument panel?  Is it a '69 with '70 parts or a '70 with a '69 tail end?  Not going to mention the steering wheel.

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

The Tassie Devil(le)

Love the "story" on the bearing failure problem.   It is from a person replying to the add.   And it was fixed by going to the 500.  People really know a lot about stuff. ;)

Bruce. >:D

"Debuting in 1968, these engines developed an astounding 525 lb ft of torque at only 3000 rpm.

The problem is that the overhead valve design was prone to bearing failure on the intermediate shaft. This is commonly referred to as “IMS failure” among Cadillac aficionado. Regretfully there is no warning as to when your 7.7 liter will grenade so many owners invest about $2500 to $3500 for a ceramic bearing fix as a proactive measure.

The problem was rectified by Cadillac with the change to 500 cubic inches in the 1970 model year.

To the dismay of many Cadillac owners, the manufacturer never fully admitted fault with the faulty bearing design, but the “wreath and crest” faithful have continued to embrace the brand overall."

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

rwchatham CLC 21892

You can tell it’s a high quality build by the cracking paint and the overspray on the chrome trim ! 😂
R. Waligora

TJ Hopland

Interesting look without the door pillar.  I would like to see it with more stock or period wheels and maybe just a little trim.

Intermediate shaft?   Isn't that usually referring whats kinda an idler cam gear some designs use on overhead cam engines?   I think the Northstar has one but they are about 20 years early for that and even there that doesn't seem like its very high on the list of Northstar's issues.    So what are they talking about on a 472/500?   I would live to see their write up on a 4100
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

You might notice the (apparently) body wide weld of a filler piece on the underside photo and also the second patch just laid on the floor from above. Quality throughout.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

D.Smith

These conversions were done on demand thru area Cadillac dealers, not the factory.  Although some of the cars if ordered new were drop shipped right from the factory at some of those coachbuilders like ASC and WISCO.    That doesn't mean that these conversions were backed up by the factory.  The drop ship was a courtesy only.  And not all of these wagon conversions were done by the larger coachbuilders.   Some were one-offs by local shops around the country and quality varies a lot.      All of these conversions requires a donor cars rear roof.    Being very labor intensive these were costly conversions and only a handful were done in any year.     And when you pay $16K for an $8K car after conversion and two months later the next years model arrives, it wasn't unheard of for the owner to go back to the dealer or coachbuilder and ask for a trim upgrade to freshen the styling to look new.   

I'm not saying that is why this 69 has a 70 nose job.   The examples I can give are 74s with square headlamps.     When an entire front clip is changed it is usually the result of a front end collision and the owner asks the body shop to order the newer parts to upgrade the cars appearance.   

veesixteen

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"