News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974 ELDORADO transaxle removal

Started by deanabell, June 23, 2020, 11:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanabell

Question about removing the front transaxles on a 1974 Eldrorado.  Does the lower wishbone assembly and torsion bar have to be dropped to remove the axle assembly?  The hub assembly isn't going going to fit in the space between the chassis and the lower wishbone.  Is there something I am missing?  Thanks for any guidance 

TJ Hopland

You don't want to mess with the lower,  lots of spring pressure there and bushings that could be rotten and rusted.  Too many might as wells unless you are planning on a full chassis rebuild. 

Pop the upper balljoint out.    When I do it I do put a jack under the lower control arm to take just a little weight.   Don't know if I'm just lucky or what but I have never had an issue getting the uppers to pop loose.   Done it on several cars some very rusty and they always just pop.

Be prepared to find your lower ball joint shot and decent chance the wheel bearing is shot too.   These cars are really hard on both of those items.  Never seen a worn upper but seen lowers that I can't believe were still holding together. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MaR

It's much easier to get them out with the knuckles out of the way but I have changed both of them by only taking the upper ball joint and the tie rod off. You will also need to keep the lower control arm level so you will have enough clearance for the flange on the inner CV joint.

Steve Lomas

I replaced both on a '75 recently-

removed both upper ball joints with a pickle fork, using a jack to keep the lower control arm level- also turning the wheel a little each side of straight helped open up some space

Not as bad as I thought- only crushed about 7 fingers.