News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tires 76 Eldorado

Started by Cadillacdave, June 24, 2020, 07:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillacdave

Looking to replace LR78-15 tires with proper white wall tires, on a 76 Eldorado. I put hankook optima 235/75/15 on a Lincoln Continental I have and they appear too "skinny" looking. Dont want to makenthe same mistake with the Cadillac. I believe a 255/70/15 would look wider and more closely resemble what is on the Eldorado now. Does anyone offer a tire like this in a 1.6 inch whitewall? I believe Cooper Trendsetters are made in 235/75/15 with a thin whitewall. I would like a decent ride, the wider 1.6 whitewall if available and the fatter look of the original LR78 -15. Any suggestions welcomed.

35-709

www.dbtires.com    Pretty much any width WW you want on the brand of your choosing.

235/75-R15 is the correct replacement size for the LR78-15.  Off the shelf tires like Hankooks and Coopers only offer one WW width, and I don't believe you will find a larger 15 inch (like 255/70-R15) in a WW from anyone these days.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cadillacdave

Thank you for the link. Very helpful.

TJ Hopland

If you want the wider ww than the Optimo then you pretty much have to break out the credit card which I don't like to do because even with a fair amount of spirited driving the tires for most of us just die of old age well before the wear out.

Are you new to these Eldo's?  If so note that they use a unique valve stem that is guaranteed not to be in stock anywhere close by if you need some fast so plan ahead.   Also standard clamp on wheel weights don't work.   

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

hornetball

This is how the Coopers look on my '74.  I really like the ride + Made in USA.

MikeLawson

I think those tires look really decent especially considering how reasonably priced they are. Also, the "Cooper"lettering on them is not overly large or unsightly. Good economical tire choice.

EAM 17806

The 235X75X15, 1.6" WW is the correct size for your 76.  I just bought a pair from "SUMMIT RACING"  and they look and ride just perfect; they were priced quite reasonably too.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Cape Cod Fleetwood

X2 on the Diamond Back tires if you can afford them. Perfect look, wonderful ride.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cadillacdave

Wow. The Coopers look nice on your car. The Eldorado looks great. I also prefer to source American made parts/tires when available. My local tire shop is pushing the hankook optimas. I asked them about the Cooper Trendsetter and they said they don't ride well. I suspect some other reason they don't stock them. Maybe they get the Hankooks cheaper and more of a mark-up = more profitable.

Cadillacdave

BTW I did check on the Cooper tires. Cooper is an American company but the Cooper Trendsetter is made in mexico.

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you do a search of Tires made in USA, it will show:
In fact, there are only two genuine American brands: Goodyear and Cooper. The largest foreign tire companies with plants in the US include Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, Bridgestone, and Yokohama. However, to make sure you buy USA tires, you should make sure they were made in the USA-based plants

But, you need to check where the tyres you are looking for are actually made in USA.   A bit like the auto industry, American brands, but made elsewhere, cause it's cheaper.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Quote from: EAM 17806 on June 25, 2020, 10:33:14 AM
The 235X75X15, 1.6" WW is the correct size for your 76.  I just bought a pair from "SUMMIT RACING"  and they look and ride just perfect; they were priced quite reasonably too.  EAM

Anyone have a link to this 1.6ww tire Summit has?  A quick look just now didn't turn anything up.

EAM 17806

Quote from: TJ Hopland on June 26, 2020, 12:24:51 AM
Anyone have a link to this 1.6ww tire Summit has?  A quick look just now didn't turn anything up.
[/quote    TJ:  Just give them a call at 1-800-230-3030 and get all the info you need from their salesperson.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

A little more time with their search turned up these:
Coker American Classic radial 1.6 ww $185 each, same as buying from Coker. 
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-700219

I was hoping it was something new or closer to the $100 range but I guess its slightly cheaper than the DB's. 

Anyone ever heard of or used Ironman? 
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/irn-94038

They don't seem to be anything special, similar look, price, and specs to the Cooper Trendsetter, Mastercraft AS-IV, and Hankook Optimo.

cadillacmike68

The ironman is a 225-75-15 - Too small for a 1976 & earlier Cadillac.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am using Maxxis 235 x 75 R x 15 narrow whitewalls on my '72.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Yes, I know they aren't clean, which is why I am not fond of Whitewalls.   But, these cars don't look that good with Blackwalls.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

hornetball

Bruce and I are setting a clear standard here.  Vintage Western mags are obligatory on Eldo convertibles!   8)

One thing I'd like to add on the Cooper vs. Hankook (the two brands I have personal experience with) . . . .  When I had my Westerns restored, I put on new tires (the Coopers) before putting them on the car.  I stated earlier that I was pleased with the ride and noise from the Coopers and they were better than what I had experienced with the Hankooks -- which is true.  But in retrospect, there were a lot more changes at play:

1. The Hankooks were 6 year old tires vs. brand new Coopers.
2. The Hankooks were on nearly 50 year old factory steel wheels that weren't perfectly straight and took a lot of weight to balance.  And then wheel covers were added.  The Coopers were on freshly restored and dead-true Western aluminum mags, which ended up being much lighter and balanced with minimal weight.

So, I can't say the improved ride/noise was a result of the tires as the wheels probably had a lot to do with it.

Good luck!

TJ Hopland

I believe the Ironman also comes in the 235 if that is your preference, I must have just used the link from when I was checking to see if the 225 offerings were any different.    I was hoping someone here had run them and had an opinion on the ride but like was mentioned before the comparison often won't be fair due to age differences n such. 

I have not had Optimos on the 73 but have them on other cars and they seem decent.   I can't remember the brand that are currently on the 73,  its a store brand but I believe I was told they were made by Cooper so likely similar to the Trendsetter.   Cooper apparently makes many of the store brands. 

Little digging and Ironman is made by Hercules which is a Cooper company. 

Does any of the Michelin brands make a ww in our size?  The Tiger Paw gets close, I think it gets to a 205.       

35-709

"Does any of the Michelin brands make a ww in our size?"

No, blackwall only.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cadillacdave

Actually found Hankook Optimas online through tiresamerica.com for $64 per tire with free delivery. Tires are 235/75/15 with a thin whitewall. Decent tires and good price.