News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 DeVille Turn Signal Problem

Started by MikeLawson, June 25, 2020, 10:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeLawson

The turn signal switch in my '67 Deville has an operational problem. I have a non-tilt style column. On right turns, the switch will cancel properly when the wheel is turned back. On left turns, the switch will cancel the flashing function but the indicator light and signal lights will remain illuminated until I push up slightly on the switch lever. Also, the lever felt loose in the off position. I went through the effort to install a new switch (no fun!) and the turn signals still act the same way. I now get a much more distinctive click sound when the signal is cancelled and the lever is no longer loose feeling in the off position. The three signal cancelling pins on the steering wheel rear cover are all intact and in good condition. I am at a loss to understand why the left turn signal still does not act correctly even with a new switch. Any ideas would be appreciated.

MikeLawson

I've spent a good deal of time figuring out just how this turn signal switch is supposed to operate and there is a lot going on in it. I still don't know how it is possible for the signal lights and indicator light to be illuminated but not flashing. I would greatly appreciate it if someone with a '67 would do a simple test for me. With the ignition on, slightly move the turn signal lever and see if you can get the indicator light and signal lights to light without flashing. I don't know if this is normal or a particular condition with my car. I have found that the switch seems very sensitive to the position it is in when this happens. I think the weight of the signal lever slightly biases the switch downward (left turn position) which causes the intermittent condition where the signal do not completely cancel after a turn. It is interesting that both the original switch and the replacement act exactly alike.

jims427400

Hi Mike
I'll give mine a try next time I'm in the car. I have the same wheel and my turn signals work fine but the turn signal stick has to be held in place to signal right or left.

jims427400

Mike,
When I lightly push the turn signal stem it will light up the turn signal and not blink. Push it a little harder then it will blink. Hope this helps you out.
Jim