News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'60 Blower Motor Differences

Started by TrevorK, June 28, 2020, 02:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevorK

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the blower motor on my '60, which is in pretty rough shape.  It is an A/C car and my parts car (non A/C) has a blower motor that is slightly different.  The A/C motor has a rubber hose that the shop manual says is to cool the motor.  The non A/C car doesn't have this hose.  I'm not sure if the only difference is the hose and if the non-AC blower will work.  The Caddy Daddy website lists an "AC Blower" for years 59-75 that doesn't seem to have a cooling hose.  It lists a "non AC" blower for years 64-75.  The images of the two blowers is identical and neither looks to have the cooling hose.

Not sure if there is a difference between the two motors I have or if the one without the cooling hose would work.  Does anyone know?

Trevor Korsrud

1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1963 Cadillac Convertible

bcroe

In general a more powerful blower motor is used in AC cars,
and that rubber hose supplied air to help keep them from
overheating.  So called replacements may fit but not have
the power of the original motor.  After discovering that, I
went to junk yard originals, oiling the bearings well and
adding a way for future oiling.  The typical problem here
was squeaking bearings, not a worn out motor. 

Bruce Roe

Scott Halver

Treavor,  I bought a new blower motor from Caddy Daddy.   The motor worked but when you put it on recirculate it did not sound right. The motor had only one wire hot wire and then was grounded by the screws.  I'll save a long story, the blower motor was turning the wrong direction for an ac car.   My original or original replacement blower motor had two wires.  You can reverse the + and - and change the direction of the fan.   I ended up returning the blower motor to Caddy Daddy and found a guy to rebuild the original blower motor (had a slight squeak in the bearing).    All is good now including on "recirculate".

SHalver #24920
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
(Grandfather bought new)
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

TrevorK

Thanks so much for the input guys.  The motor I have from the parts car looks identical to the rough one from my car, with the exception of the cooling hose.  I suppose I could give it a try and if it doesn't work well, have the original one rebuilt. 
Trevor Korsrud

1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1963 Cadillac Convertible