News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New car; 1979 Fleetwood.

Started by Uhegej, July 02, 2020, 07:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhegej

Hello guys, well, I spent the last 4 years looking for the best tri7 I could find with-in my budget. I finally accomplished it. I picked this up from Barry Wheeler; we both live in Indiana. He was very kind and helpful. Yesterday, I left his house and drove the long way home. About 200 miles. Car performed like a dream; AC worked great. Up until yesterday; the oldest Cadillac I had driven was my mom’s 82 Seville, that’s the car I learned to drive on at age 15/16. Took my driving test using my father’s 88 Sedan Deville. Once I got my license; I had an 84 Cimmiron, junk, for 3 months; I got a job at Kmart while in school and got an 86 Fleetwood FWD, I loved that car till the motor died. I replaced it with a 1991 Sedan Deville. Then while in college, I made a mistake, I traded the 91 Deville for a new 97 Chrysler Concord. Again junk.  I have then gone through a series of “practical” cars, but what a bore and no style or ride. My father passed away in 2011, then being sentimental, 4 years ago I purchased an 88 Fleetwood FWD. combining my love of the 86 and the 88 he had. It’s a good car; I have driven it regularly but it has a few flaws; but if one likes lates 80’s caddy’s (And in do) it’s nice.  However, my Grandmother had a 79 couple Deville, I loved riding in it. I got to back it out of garage one time. That was it. I had hoped it would be mine, but it was left to an older cousin. And he destroyed it. My grandmother and grandfather drove only Cadillac from 1949 until they both died in 70’s and late 90’s.
My earliest Cadillac memory is of me riding in the center seat of my Dad’s 76 Fleetwood and changing the 8 track tapes. Yesterday, diving home, It felt so nostalgic and close to my dad and grandma. When I started looking for a tri7. My plan was for either a 77 (because I was born January 77) or a 79; same year as my grandmothers last car. Yesterday was a very happy day. It’s amazing how a big hunk of metal can make deceased loved ones feel so close again.  Now, a few practical questions; what’s the best way and products to clean leather seats? Is a speedometer that sort of bounces back and fourth while driving a difficult repair?
John H
John Hegedus

1979 Fleetwood Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Looks good. I see it has the accent trim option (I call it the "metal pinstripe"). Almost never see these with the base wheel covers on anymore which were all but invariably swapped with wire wheel covers the second they hit a used dealer's car lot.

Glad to hear the enjoyment and satisfaction the car has brought and the nostalgic connection makes it all the more special.

Best of luck with it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

John had come up to see the car last year, and I hadn't registered it since 2018, so it hasn't been driven. When I went out to start it on Monday, it took two tries and fired right up with no valve clatter. We have had almost too many '79s to count over the years and they've all been great.

We have a heat wave currently, and I was somewhat concerned about him driving home. But I had a message this AM that they made it home safely last evening. I will miss her. She's been to the Des Moines GN, Kansas City in that heat wave, and Savannah. Plus a trip to VA just after I got it to see my grandson's soccer match in Lynchburg.

If you want an older Cadillac that you don't have to worry too much about, get a '77, 78, or '79.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TJ Hopland

A 79 would have the cruise control sensor in the speedometer head rather than the inline gearbox like earlier models did so a clean and lube job on the cruise gearbox isn't whats causing your bounce.    Maybe cable inspection and lube?   No idea how difficult the cable is to access on the back of the speedo,  my guess that would be the most difficult part of the process assuming you have ramps or jackstands to access the transmission end.     Just a visual inspection of the cable may give some clues too.   Does the routing look correct or is it flopping around and possibly near hot exhaust?  Stuff like that.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

6caddy2

Beautiful car John, thank you for sharing your story of how you had become familiar with cadillacs and what age that had happened for you!! Love reading these post! I love the Tri 7's, happen to own 2, well I just sold the 78 Sedan deVille yesterday, but still have the 79 Fleetwood Brougham in the stable, they are just down right excellent cars to own, maintain, and of course to drive!!

I wish you and the car many years of enjoyment and the many memories that it will bring to you and those of us that have a love and passion for these cars!!

I would agree with TJ's statements about the speedo issue your are having, it also might be the cable at the end where she is screwed onto the tranny is loose, if the knurled fitting is tight, then it may be the "plastic drive gear in the tranny itself, not a bad fix there, this part can be found on the net, note its color and and order as needed, also of course a shop manual is highly recommended.

With the car having sat for some time, this "might clear up as the "lube"  in the cable moves more feely, but with a 4hr trip or so she should've freed up and be smooth on the speedo needle, so my thought and money goes down to where the square end of cable is pushed into the square opening in the plastic gear which resides in the rear tranny housing, in which that can be taken off to allow access to the plastic drive gear, the plastic drive gear in which its center is square " for square end of cable"  becomes rounded do to years of moving, nothing bad, it just wears out or becomes walleared out.
                                                   Joe
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

D.Smith

Barry M Wheeler #2189

My shop manual went with the car, but I did forget to clean out the glove box. I don't think there was any ladies underwear left in there...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville