News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bob Morrow

Started by Jay Friedman, July 02, 2020, 01:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Friedman

I just read in the Potomac Region newsletter that Bob Morrow passed away.  Long time members may remember Bob wrote for some years the monthly technical articles in the Self Starter.  In those pre-forum days these were in the form of letters to Bob asking for solutions to various Cad-Lasalle mechanical problems.  Bob titled his columns, Advice From Mr. Bentwrench; Advice to the CarLorn.  He wrote in a very humorous way, gently putting down the person who wrote in, but at the same time providing excellent advice on sometimes very complicated problems.  I remember one guy had a LaSalle which jumped out of 3rd gear, and Bob provided an engineer's advice on aligning the bell housing and transmission, etc. which only a true expert would know.  He and I would meet at GNs and we exchanged letters and emails about various Cad topics.

His columns always made me laugh and his gentle putdowns I thought were always in good taste, but somehow the CLC higher ups felt he had gone too far at some point and he was unceremoniously replaced.  After some discrete asking around, I never could find out exactly what his transgression was. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I used to enjoy his column. I recall the story he wrote detailing the account of the twists and turns involving a classic Cadillac purchase. The car was a black '62 Eldorado Biarritz with the rare cloth interior owned by a local lady since new. I always wondered what became of Bob Morrow and the car.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

A real gentleman.  When I responded to one of his "Mr. Bent wrench" articles perhaps a bit too technically, he countered by saying that I must be one of those people that had 6 pens and pencils in my pocket protector.  I indignantly wrote back " at no time have I ever been known to have more than 4 pencils and pens in my pocket protector".
To that he sent me a personal message telling me that my response had been a bright spot in what was then a dark period of medical issues.
He is missed.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jay Friedman

Greg, I had similar exchanges with Bob several times, in which we were humorously teasing each other.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Vince Taliano #13852

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

druby

I really enjoyed his articles, sad to hear his passing.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

cadillacmike68

I remember the articles well. We will miss Bob...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I wrote to him once and got the customary insults plus a fix for the problem on my car. Always wondered why he disappeared from the self starter so suddenly?

GBrown #8092

I had a chance to speak with him several time over the last few years.
I consulted with him over his purchase of a "tribute" to his school hot rod.
Last communication I had with him was last Spring. We talked about how he still had his first new car and sent me a picture.  He was pretty confident he was coming to the Louisville GN. I was expecting to see him there and  should have followed up, but time got away from me. 

Another reminder that we should check in on your friends. 

He'll be missed.

Glenn

harry s

Great guy and very knowledgeable. I met him several times RIP.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Jay Friedman on July 02, 2020, 01:30:19 PM
.....His columns always made me laugh and his gentle putdowns I thought were always in good taste, but somehow the CLC higher ups felt he had gone too far at some point and he was unceremoniously replaced.  After some discrete asking around, I never could find out exactly what his transgression was. 

Has anyone ever heard anything specific about what Bob said or wrote to get "fired"?
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

druby

Jay,
I’m sure a board member can explain why he was “fired”. Anybody on the board care to respond, many of would like to know.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

The Tassie Devil(le)

I don't think he was actually fired, as I recall at the time, he posted something like he wrote what he wrote, and the Editor at the time wanted to "Edit" it, which is what Editors are employed to do, and Bob didn't like being edited, so that was the end of Mr. Bentwrench.

Bruce. >:D

I suppose now it would be called "Spitting the dummy".   Or, "Taking my pencil and paper and leaving".
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jay Friedman

Some time after the fact but again many years ago I remember asking Bob who fired him and he told me it was the higher ups in the club and not the editor, or rather they put pressure on the editor to do so.  My memory is a bit hazy I must admit.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Mike Wenrich #1666

I too am sorry to hear he is gone, but not forgotten.  I enjoyed his articles and wit.  Too bad some folks sensitivities were offended or at least someone thought so.  Maybe a couple members complained and the rest of us lost a lot of potential humor.  I make stupid mistakes, more so these days, and have to suffer the brunt of that.  When friends get a jab or two in along the way, I appreciate the attention and deserve it.  Let's hope John Washburn doesn't offend someone.

Lexi

Ditto. I was never offended by the "auto curmudgeon" either. We should all be mature enough to have a laugh at our own expense. Bentwrench was knowledgeable and will be missed. At least we still have the Johnny and his red wine commentaries. Clay/Lexi

Mike Simmons 938

Wasn't Bob also "A G Backeast" who reproduced cowl tags for legitimate owners with ruined real ones- or am I confusing him with some other guy?

druby

To any board member on here, it would be nice to see a few words mentioned about his passing in the Self Starter magazine in the near future, it’s only fitting to do so ! Your welcome to use the article in our Potomac Region’s July newsletter.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

chrisntam

Quote from: druby on July 08, 2020, 04:59:24 PM
To any board member on here, it would be nice to see a few words mentioned about his passing in the Self Starter magazine in the near future, it’s only fitting to do so ! Your welcome to use the article in our Potomac Region’s July newsletter.

The Self Starter has started an "In Memoriam" page of noted members and their passing.  I had hoped this area would remain blank each month...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas