News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My new ‘79 Fleetwood questions

Started by Uhegej, July 05, 2020, 12:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhegej

Question... 1) why only a vanity mirror on passenger side?
2) how can I get the cigarette lighter to charge my Apple iPhone?
3) should the trunk deck emblem be in color or only silver?
4) what’s the best way to clean and maintain vinyl top? Leather seats?
5) where can I get correct period new tires?
John Hegedus

1979 Fleetwood Brougham

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Uhegej on July 05, 2020, 12:16:46 AM
Question... 1) why only a vanity mirror on passenger side?
2) how can I get the cigarette lighter to charge my Apple iPhone?
3) should the trunk deck emblem be in color or only silver?
4) what’s the best way to clean and maintain vinyl top? Leather seats?
5) where can I get correct period new tires?

1. The logic behind having only a passenger-side vanity mirror was that the driver was supposed to be driving, and not looking at him/herself in a vanity mirror. Later Cadillacs had them on both sides.  For similar reasons, some Cadillacs had a grab handle over each side window except for the driver - because the driver was supposed to be driving, and not holding onto something.

2.  First, make certain your cigarette lighters are operational. There is a "body feed" fuse which controls these. Then make sure that your charger plug is compatible with the cigarette lighter well in the car.

3.  The trunk emblem (lock cover) is die-cast chrome plated with a clear and multi-colored "Vitrolux" plastic inlay for the heraldic colors of the crest. They were quite vulnerable to deterioration from UV and direct sunlight. Yours has likely shrunken and become detached. If you have the casting number on the back side of the emblem, I might be able to provide a replacement.

4. A product called "Vinylex" is excellent on the vinyl roof; it comes recommended by the Porsche club and the LCOC. Meguiars and Mothers both have excellent products for the leather.  The "Jay Leno's Garage" line of products may also have leather cleaner and conditioner.

5. IIRC, the 1979 models still used the 1.625" whitewall. A suitable tire might be available from Coker, although there are many tire suppliers out there.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Check to see if the lighter works. If it does, the adapter isn't making contact for whatever reason.

Up until 1979, only the passenger visor had vanity mirror whether plain or illuminated. Dual illuminated mirrors appeared in 1980.

After checking McVey's, Caddy Daddy, eBay and OCPG, I was unable to find a decklid lock cover crest which I found somewhat surprising. This item would be the same for 77-79 DeVille, Brougham and Limousine. However the crest for the FWD 1985 DeVille/Fleetwood from 1985-1988 will also fit but the emblem is slightly thicker. Only a handful of people on the planet would ever know the difference. I don't believe the crest for 1980 - 1992 RWD models will work because of the V contour of the decklid.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute