News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Third Member Question

Started by Mike Wenrich #1666, July 05, 2020, 01:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wenrich #1666

I recently parted out what I believe is a 1941 Cad rear end that had damaged brake backing plates and one drum damaged.  I thought it odd that the unit would have been dragged but when I finally got the drums off and the axles out, I found that the gears were locked.  After loosening the pinion nut I was able to get the gears to turn.  The gears look okay but obviously something is terribly wrong in the pinion area.  My question...is it worth saving this pumpkin for the gears or are they available new?  Trying to save what I might need but not crowd my storage more than necessary.  I can't imagine I would ever drive enough miles to need this but wanted to get a second opinion.  Or more.  Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.  BTW, saving the axles so I hope they are the correct ones for my car, a 41 6227D.  Ratio is correct.

Mike

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hey Mike.
I have that low mileage rear end. Drum to drum. 3:36 I 'll make you a great deal. The only things worth saving on yours are the axles.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

harry s

Bob's right about the only worth saving on the old rear is the axles. The third members were serviced on an exchange basis by the factory.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Mike Wenrich #1666

Good info and thanks.  Hi Bob.  Like you, I'm trying to have less space taken up by spares.  But thanks for the offer.