News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rear Axle Bearings and Seals 1979 CDV

Started by 0maha, July 06, 2020, 10:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0maha

Next to-do item on the '79 CDV is the axle seals/bearings. (55k miles on the car.)

Specific questions:

1) What axle seals (brand) should I buy?
2) What axle bearings (brand) should I buy?
3) If I need one or both axle shafts, where is a source for those?

Longer version:

I replaced the diff oil a month or so ago. I assume that was the first time it was ever done.

Over the weekend, we took the car out to dinner, and happened to park on a bit of a side slope. When we returned to the car, a decent amount of my nice, fresh gear oil had leaked out the driver's side of the rear axle.

So at a minimum, I need seals.

I also notice an indistinct growling from the rear. I think I've got a bad bearing, but haven't opened it up to do a proper inspect.

My problem with this sort of thing is I really don't have a good place to work on the car other than my driveway, and I don't want to have it up on jacks for days at a time. My neighbors are pretty iffy about that.

So I need to pre-identify and gather up all the parts I think I'll need for a job before I start it.

With that in mind, I'm trying to think this through.

Seals are a given.

What about bearings? My inclination is to get a pair and just put them in no matter what.

But what worries me is the possibility that I have a galled or grooved axle shaft. Think that is a realistic possibility? I'm trying to decide if I should have one (or even two) on hand before starting "just in case". It really comes down to the judgement here on this forum of the likelihood that I've got a spoiled axle. If it's deemed likely, I'll have them ready. If not, I'll take my chances, and if it turns out they are shot, I'll button things back up, order the parts, and start over when they arrive.

I've also seen offset bearings that land on a different part of the axle shaft. Any experience with those? Probably a lot cheaper than sourcing replacement axles, but feels like something of a hack.

(Those are left-right swappable, correct? If not, this is even worse than I fear.)

Once again, much appreciation for this wonderful forum and the fantastic guidance you all have provided. It really makes this stuff easier!

scotth3886

Quote from: 0maha on July 06, 2020, 10:55:16 AM
Next to-do item on the '79 CDV is the axle seals/bearings. (55k miles on the car.)

Specific questions:

1) What axle seals (brand) should I buy?
2) What axle bearings (brand) should I buy?
3) If I need one or both axle shafts, where is a source for those?

Longer version:

I replaced the diff oil a month or so ago. I assume that was the first time it was ever done.

Over the weekend, we took the car out to dinner, and happened to park on a bit of a side slope. When we returned to the car, a decent amount of my nice, fresh gear oil had leaked out the driver's side of the rear axle.

So at a minimum, I need seals.

I also notice an indistinct growling from the rear. I think I've got a bad bearing, but haven't opened it up to do a proper inspect.

My problem with this sort of thing is I really don't have a good place to work on the car other than my driveway, and I don't want to have it up on jacks for days at a time. My neighbors are pretty iffy about that.

So I need to pre-identify and gather up all the parts I think I'll need for a job before I start it.

With that in mind, I'm trying to think this through.

Seals are a given.

What about bearings? My inclination is to get a pair and just put them in no matter what.

But what worries me is the possibility that I have a galled or grooved axle shaft. Think that is a realistic possibility? I'm trying to decide if I should have one (or even two) on hand before starting "just in case". It really comes down to the judgement here on this forum of the likelihood that I've got a spoiled axle. If it's deemed likely, I'll have them ready. If not, I'll take my chances, and if it turns out they are shot, I'll button things back up, order the parts, and start over when they arrive.

I've also seen offset bearings that land on a different part of the axle shaft. Any experience with those? Probably a lot cheaper than sourcing replacement axles, but feels like something of a hack.

(Those are left-right swappable, correct? If not, this is even worse than I fear.)

Once again, much appreciation for this wonderful forum and the fantastic guidance you all have provided. It really makes this stuff easier!

I'm also gathering parts to do the same on my 66.  I've had real good luck using Summit for mechanical parts and generally have what I need the next afternoon.  If we have questions, they'll put you on hold and talk to the manufacture to get real answers.  They're generally not much, if any, more expensive than Rockauto, and free shipping for orders over a $100.  Rockauto can be a little cheaper sometimes, but no one to talk to and many more miss shipments.  Then there are the ton of boutique Cadillac only suppliers, but generally at a significantly higher price.

TJ Hopland

A few years back when I had a 78 I had seal issues.  We had bought both standard bearings and seals as well as what was called a repair bearing and seal.  The repair bearing shifted the position where the bearing rides on the shaft and seal.  Mine didn't need the repair version which was good because I remember them costing 3-4 times what the regular bearing cost.   We got them from a local store so returning what we didn't use was easy. 

I do not remember if the bearings on these were held in by the backing plate or pressed into the housing.  I did mine at a friends shop so he would have had the tools if they were pressed in.  I think its most common for this style to be pressed in so you will likely need the puller and slide hammer to remove them.  The cross spider pin story below is why I remember these were not pressed onto the axle types.

One odd thing we ran into was the retaining bolt/pin thing for the cross shaft in the carrier was broken.  The guy at the parts store worked at a dealer back in the day and said it was a problem GM had back then,  guess they got a deal on those bolts.  It broke just where the threads ended and the pin part started.   Left just enough thread in that the pin didn't come out when the rest of the bolt was removed.   Thought we were going to be drilling but it turns out that it was loose enough that just picking at it while wiggling things we were able to get it to unscrew.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

0maha

Quote from: TJ Hopland on July 06, 2020, 12:18:17 PMWe had bought both standard bearings and seals as well as what was called a repair bearing and seal.

Good to hear a validation on the repair bearings. I think what I'm going to do is get a set of each type, and see where it goes from there. Hopefully my axle shafts are clean and I can use the OEM type. If not, I guess I'll see how it goes with the repair/offset type.

My understanding is that the bearings are a press fit in the axle tube, so I'm planning on slide-hammering them out and then tapping in the new ones.

It will be interesting to see if I have the same issue inside the diff. Hope not, but thanks for the heads up!