News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'41 Glass shape

Started by Peter Cornwell, July 06, 2020, 11:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Cornwell

I'm pretty sure the door windows on my '41 convertible coupe have replacement glass in them as there are no date markings on it and the shape of it does not 'fit' the roof line (see picture). On the drivers side there is a gap between the top of the chrome trim and the rubber seal. Before I set off down the line of getting new glass cut to the correct shape, am I missing something else which would cause this to happen? The convertible top frame does seem to fit ok.
Kind Regards
Peter
England
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

35-709

I would check the window adjustment first.  It should be possible to bring up the rear of that glass for a better fit by adjusting the mechanism behind the door panel --- the door panel will have to come off anyway if indeed the glass needs to be replaced.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

harry s

It's been awhile so I don't remember for sure but there should be some adjustment. I notice a floor shift, is that a '37 transmission? Is it hooked to a 346 flathead?    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Peter Cornwell

Harry,
Well spotted but it's not got the original engine or transmission (mea culpa), was like this when it was shipped from the US to England. It's a 4 speed auto box but the shift lever looks like a manual shifter.
Peter
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

harry s

Peter, No problem it's a beautiful car. I imagined an old school flathead with period speed equipment turning a '37 trans.  Sorry I can't remember about the window adjustment but if you take the door panel off as suggested you will be able to tell easily. Good Luck,    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

On the 40-41 convertibles there are adjustable stops at the top of the door that stop the glass at the appropriate place.  In addition the rubber seal mounted on the top frame can be spaced down with pieces of cardboard.  this was factory because on my 40 the cardboard spacers was not the same from side to side.  You can't know for sure that your glass is correct but the height of the glass was not a variable.  All glass was the same.  I don't remember for sure but I think the chrome frame around the glass also fixes the height of the glass.  The stops and the cardboard spacers accounted for all the variations.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Abe Lugo

Hey Peter
It looks like the window is all the way up on the front by the wind wing. If you adjust it up then the lower track may show.  Also if you push it up too
Much the window angle with incline towards the rear and look awkward.
You try what was mentioned to see if the rubber can be moved slightly down some. 

I have the same issue in mine but a much bigger gap.  I have read on the site here that there may be a way to adjust down the top mechanism that difference.  But it involves a taking a look behind at the rear side interior panels and then some adjustment work in the mechanism.  And it sounds like a mess to do.

I would Just drive with the window cracked down a few inches when the top is up and no worries when the top is down.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

Peter Cornwell

It's a puzzle, I like the thought of the cardboard behind the rubber. My concern is that if I use the rear jacking screw to lift the window, its going to open a gap at the lower left point (as viewed) by almost the same amount. It currently runs cleanly against the window track in there so don't think my answer lies there.
Have attached a picture from last week in our glorious countryside when I didn't need to be concerned about the side window fit.
Kind Regards
Peter
England
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible