News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1951 Cadi Series 62 looking for guidance on buying upholstery

Started by Ed franco, July 06, 2020, 10:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed franco

any suggestions on buying materials to redo the whole upholstery.  i have the whole upholstery sitting my garage while being painted including panels etc...          it seems no one does it anymore.     i am confused on "broadcloth"   (cotton ?)   materials appear more of mohair.       any help would be appreciated.   

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Try these folks -- they have supplied the original
type interior fabrics / leather types for years.  I
have their materials in my own cars.

http://www.jenkins-interiors.com/

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Ed franco

V63

The original cloths were wool. Bill hirsh has quite a variety of wools, broadcloth and Bedford cords.it’s been a decade since I ordered any. I did this packard 12 interior then.

Ed franco

HI V63,

Thanks for the photo.   That is the color and look of my tan broadcloth.         I will follow up with bill Hirsch.    thanks for the lead.  did not realize they did interiors also.    Ed

Mike Wenrich #1666

I have a 41 Model 62 originally two tone painted light over dark green and a light green interior.  I have not been able to find the green broadcloth but was told it could be dyed by an Oregon outfit.  I'm a little hesitant on that and will give Jenkins a call but Oregon for me is lot closer than the east coast.  May have. to go light tan.  That is what it faded to anyway.  Bill Hirsch did not have the green fabric but had similar fabric in a tan color. 

Ed franco

5390john

I strongly suggest talking to SMS Fabrics in Canby Oregon
www.smsautofabrics.com
The other places you mention probably get their products from SMS
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Steve Strickland

I can second SMS. I currently have my 1951 interior pieces being recovered there. They are going to send material for the headliner, seats, hat rack and carpet so my local installer can finish those.

Ed franco

working with sms now.     fair price for the whole deal?

Mike Wenrich #1666

My issue with SMS is their time to build what you want.  I've heard they do great work but that you have to wait a long time for it.  A former neighbor waited one year for his early 60's MOPAR door panels. It was difficult to actually talk to the owner who was the person doing the work and promises made were not kept.  That said, he was very happy with the product when it arrived.  I would say do not be in a hurry unless their production has changed.

Ed franco

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I can only second what was said above about SMS. Great products but really bad service, they took more than a year to do my door panels and really messed me around, it got nasty before I finally got them. I had paid upfront for the work. My advice would be only buy fabric from them,  do not get any work done by them. Phil

Steve Strickland

I placed my order one month ago and sent my pieces in the next week. I have received the headliner already. I was told it would take 3 or 4 months for my interior pieces.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

larrygood

A couple years ago I ordered material for my '51 Pontiac.  Service was extremely slow, communication was quite silent, and prices were high.  But when the material arrived, all was forgiven.  The quality and the pattern were spot on.

I bought ALL of my interior fabrics from SMS ; had a local guy do the work  Fabric was
spot-on perfect match for my 1949 club coupe. I received the fabric in two weeks.
This was about six months ago.  They DO have the stuff.
MICHAEL LYNCH
Wisconsin

5390john

Quality, Price, Delivery.
Pick two.
SMS has quality and price (not cheap but very fair). The reason they have delivery issues is 1) there are huge varieties of fabrics and materials for restoring vehicles and they cannot be expected to have all of them in inventory. 2) They own their own fabric mills and they have what is called a "rolling schedule". They can make any fabric, but like any manufacturer, they have schedules and lead times. If you think it's easy, try it yourself sometime.
They could do a better job on communicating, but they only have a few office people who are usually overwhelmed with the amount of work they have to do.
I'm lucky, I live about 10 miles from their office and found it was a lot easier to just drop by when I needed to, much easier than using the phone.
Notice that all the comments here noted how happy they were with the product. It's best not to be in a hurry......

John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

John, you are correct about the quality and price. But for me Doug Pollock's rudeness can't be forgiven. In the time from making my order to delivery (please remember I paid up front, what a fool) he moved premises and changed phone numbers. I thought they'd gone out of business taking my money with them. I live in England so I couldn't just take a ten minute drive and visit them. As I said in my post earlier I had to put pressure on him and he did not like it. If he delivered when he said he would there would not have been a problem. Say that it will take 18 months to do the door panels don't lie about delivery times. Unfortunately  I have no choice but to buy from him if I need fabric again, but I will just be buying fabric, not getting work done. I own and run an international on line business and I would never treat customers the way he treated me and quite a number of other people.

5390john

Phil:
No argument there, Doug does have his moments. I tell people that I've been a salesman "for way too long", but the benefit is that I have pretty good people skills. There are times when Doug could use a refresher course.
Most of the time I got along fine with him, but I did have my (minor) moments. That said, he was VERY helpful to me in utilizing the various capabilities of his company to make necessary component parts that ultimately resulted in a prize winning concourse level show car.
I tried really hard to get along with him and it paid off.
See photos!
For what it's worth, Doug was NOTHING compared to the guy who did a lot of the rechroming on my '55 De Ville; that guy was the worst psycho (long term exposure to cyanide fumes?) piece of work I EVER dealt with!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"