News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

R71S battery topper... (or, I'd rather be lucky than good)

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, July 12, 2020, 02:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

You know The Ark ate 2 'replica batteries', so immediately back to the wet cell Group 27 God intended and haven't
had a problem since. But I still like the look and am trying to be as "original" as possible where it makes sense.

And of course no one makes an R71S battery topper since the audience is so limited.

Wayne at Battery Central found a guy in Texas with a 'dead' R71S and got the guy to send it to me, free.

I butchered, eh modified, it yesterday, and I think its going to work perfectly. I'll need terminal extenders, just ordered 2
from batterytoppers.com  Tools used: Dremel with cutting wheels, DeWalt 20v with spade bits and drill bits, Rockwell
SoniCrafter, DeWalt table saw. Eye protection and especially a mask are crucial, the black plastic dust created when
cutting the case was extreme. I'll need those old school/or reproduction terminal corrosion rings to hide my sins.

I'd love to use the proper battery hold down, I think Scot Minesinger found those somewhere. Wondering if it will still
work with a topper? Stay tuned...

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Jon S

Not bad. I did a similar thing to make a Delco Freedom II topper a few years ago.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Hi Laurie,

That's a lot of effort for your car which still has "home depot" turquoise paint. Did you hit your head on the side of a C130 in the past?    :P  Just kidding, but won't it be too high? The CCAs look to be a bit low as well.

There is an ACDelco, the proper size, some 700+ CAs with the top posts.  I tmust be available near you. I've had these in my 1968 for years.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 12, 2020, 09:33:13 PM
Hi Laurie,

That's a lot of effort for your car which still has "home depot" turquoise paint. Did you hit your head on the side of a C130 in the past?    :P  Just kidding, but won't it be too high? The CCAs look to be a bit low as well.

There is an ACDelco, the proper size, some 700+ CAs with the top posts.  I tmust be available near you. I've had these in my 1968 for years.

Paint and body on hold, do you have any idea what the engine rebuild with Reid's Automotive is costing me? The Ark WAS going to get paint and body this spring, the 472 had other plans for my money. I'm having the correct Fleetwood skirts painted Home Depot Teal, just to get them on the car, the right side mirror too, I need that for safety. The wheel covers have been restored. That battery is fine, works like a charm. I'll buy another one just like it. "hit my head", really? Do you know what happened to me on July 3rd? I almost killed myself with a 12' fall from a ladder, out cold. Still have a huge welt on my head, seeing my neurologist tomorrow for the headaches. NO I never went to an ER to be checked out or get a CT scan. I figured if I live for 36 hours I have no brain bleed or fluid on the brain. I was right. The battery topper is less than 3/4" tall, but I still need the terminal extensions, they've been shipped.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Jon S

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 12, 2020, 09:33:13 PM
Hi Laurie,

I thought Laurie was showing the status of a topper for the battery. I have used both Series 27 and 27F’s from Interstate and dressed them up for my cars. They are 710 CCA which is more than sufficient.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

cadillacmike68

Laurie,

I didn't know what had happened to you on the 3rd. I was just razzing you for spending on a battery topper.

Won't the extra height interfere with getting the pos and neg cables through the holes in the core support?

Rebuild cost, tell me about it. I'm still suffering from the late 2017 rebuild of my car's 472. But at least it is running nicely now.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 13, 2020, 05:24:59 PM
Laurie,

I didn't know what had happened to you on the 3rd. I was just razzing you for spending on a battery topper.

Won't the extra height interfere with getting the pos and neg cables through the holes in the core support?

Rebuild cost, tell me about it. I'm still suffering from the late 2017 rebuild of my car's 472. But at least it is running nicely now.

Mike, if you re-read my post, you'll see the battery ie battery topper was sent to me , free. No spending, other than some time. 3/4" won't impact the cables going through the holes. I'm supposed to call the engine shop tomorrow to remind them to send me pictures, damn I need that car back together.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on July 13, 2020, 11:34:17 PM
Mike, if you re-read my post, you'll see the battery ie battery topper was sent to me , free. No spending, other than some time. 3/4" won't impact the cables going through the holes. I'm supposed to call the engine shop tomorrow to remind them to send me pictures, damn I need that car back together.

I have a eye dr. appt. tomorrow.  :-X
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville