News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I found this tag in my 46

Started by Daniel Szydel, July 14, 2020, 05:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Szydel

It was hanging on the rail that the dashboard bolts to. I’m guessing it has been there when it was being assembled at the factory. What does the 699 mean?

Dan
1946 Cadillac Convertible
1931 Ford Model A Coupe

Jeff Hansen

Could it be the body number?  Check the body tag on the side of the firewall to see.

Whatever it means, that is a rare, rare find!  Are there numbers on the other stubs?

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jay Friedman

I'm wildly speculating that the 699 means it's the 699th car manufactured that day??
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Daniel Szydel

Jeff, it looks like there were 16 tags in that pack. I’m guessing they got tore off at various stages of production.

I just checked and it is the body number. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but what is the body number? How does one actually find the production date?

Thanks
Dan
1931 Ford Model A Coupe

fishnjim

Most likely a build/inspection tag during body assembly.   No computer print out in those daze, ie, paper systems.   The way the line knows what to put on/check off.   
It lists the paint code #s etc. so they know what to do and probably checked or tore off/turned in.   But doesn't show any added info on that white one, except the bottom.   So not sure it's relevant without the whole stack.   
Not sure the 699 sequence number has any significance or meaning, just that it was a numbered tag system.   There is a "Fisher Body" history book out there that might have some further info.   I wouldn't think they made anywhere near that many in a day in '46.   Low production year.
The metal Fisher body tag would have the body number on it.   I'm not sure about the '46s because that's really prewar in post war. 
I'd definitely preserve it with the car.   Adds to it's history/provenance.   Put in one of those archive quality mylar bags and seal.   Don't handle much, oils will deteriorate/stain paper.

Jeff Hansen

Quote from: Daniel Szydel on July 15, 2020, 02:18:19 PM
... what is the body number? How does one actually find the production date?

The body number is the build sequence number of the body shell.  Of the 1342 series 6267 bodies built in model year 1946, yours is number 699.  Note that bodies were not necessarily used in the order in which they were built.

You cannot get the actual build date of your car but you can get the ship date (date the car left the factory) on the build sheet which you can order from Allied Vaughan (https://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/page/VehicleAuth).

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Daniel Szydel

Thanks Jeff, that answers the question.  I’m really enjoying learning as much as I can about this car and I really appreciate all the knowledge on this forum.
1931 Ford Model A Coupe