News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 CC heat riser question...

Started by Alexcantsleep, July 16, 2020, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexcantsleep

Good morning everyone!

I have a 59 Commercial Chassis and something off of happening with my heat riser. My manifold bolts are rusted solid so I can’t remove it, at least not without it being a giant headache.
If you’re standing on the drivers side of the car, looking at the drivers side (left) manifold, is the open position of the valve when the weight is turned clockwise or counterclockwise? Mine moves with a little nudging from a wooden dowel and a ball peen hammer but I’m not sure what position it needs to be in to be open. Oddly enough, the exhaust sound doesn’t change much when I’ve moved it a little either way but I was a little leery if forcing it all one way, having it stick there and then if being in the closed position.

Thanks everyone!

Alex

TomJudd

There is a butterfly valve inside. I f this sticks in closed position , over a period of time major engine damage can occur. Spray with penetrant til free. ( at shaft, both ends). There is a copper infused penetrant.  Be patient. Keep working it. When engine cold the spring will contract and close the valve. After 2-3 minutes of running valve should open. U can check w a heat gun to see proper operation.  If u can free it, check regularly. I actually removed the butterfly from the shaft, so I dont worry anymore.( cant tell its modified)!! This valve is only for cold starts for a couple minutes. Who owns a 59 and doesnt let it run/warm for a minute??!!