News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958: Improvising the Lower Control Arm Spreader

Started by wbdeford, July 18, 2020, 08:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

This might be useful for others trying to figure out how to spread a lower control arm.  I used my old upper shaft and bushings.  One end has the grease fitting through the hole in the control arm, and the other has the bushing (grease fitting removed) jammed in the corner next to the shaft.  I put a socket underneath to block it from sliding downward.  Then, I used one wrench to hold the shaft still, and another to loosen the bushing (with the grease fitting) to lengthen the shaft and spread the arm.  Worked great and stayed "put" while tightening the 2nd bushing.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Love the improvisation and ingenuity.

Ones gotta do what ones gotta do.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wbdeford

Thanks, Bruce

I was discussing elsewhere the purpose of spreading the arms in the first place.  My thought was that it is to properly line up the threads of the shaft with the threads of the control arm so there is enough space for the shaft to sit and rotate, but someone else suggested the purpose is to prevent bending the control arm when tightening down the bushings.  What do you think?
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Initially, the real purpose of the spreader is to stop the arm from losing its' production shape, and thereby maintaining the correct alignment and position of the pivot.

In the case of the press-in bushings, it is there to stop the person applying pressure to totally distort the arm with undue press pressure when pressing in the bushings.

I haven't done any of the greasing type replacements for a long time, but I never found the need to stop the arms from collapsing, as one is simply screwing in the bushings.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon