News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 cadillac power antenna mast repair

Started by maitairon, July 19, 2020, 08:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maitairon

Hi  I have a 1957 Cadillac series 62 convertible, and while my power antenna still functions correctly, at some point that plastic cable will break. does anyone know someone who repairs them or can fix the current cable. It doesent need a complete rebuild, just a mast that will be reliable. thank you in advance.
1962 Eldorado
1957 Cadillac series 62 conv.

Seville1957

fishnjim

Proverbial can-o-worms.   
As far as I know the plastic extender part is not in repro, so you have to snag a vintage one, which won't be all that much better.   Vintage rebuilds are selling >>$1000 now.   And it's anybodies guess how long one would last after rebuild.
"Caddy Tim" fixed mine ~5 years ago and he was about out of early parts then.   So an opportunity for someone to make these parts.   Some of the other usual parts places list doing it also.   
I'd be taking care of what I got, if I were U.   The later ones don't fit.   Really no solution to replace.  Once you no longer have a factory radio, the modern electronic contacts aren't heavy duty enough to handle the amperage req'd by these antennas.   I had to put mine on a separate circuit to keep it working.   I bought an "operating" spare from a junk yard and motor didn't work.   So what was "magic" 60+ years ago has turned into a nightmare.   Be glad you're in the chrome and steel era, I can see a lot of the newer vehicles suffering plastic partitis in the coming decades as well.   The 70's outer trim for the collapsible bumper is one frequent example.   Later interior panels are mostly PVC and the dyes fade and surface oxidizes.   Gets brittle with age as plasticizer goes out.

fishnjim

I received info from one of the other brand sites that the CASCO made unit nylon mast can be obtained but unfortunately this is not what is on the Cadillacs.   So keep searching someone may come up with an option for Cad.

Michael Petti

Just a thought. I will have to repair my 60 CDV mast at some point and have done some research. It is true it is hard to find some one to repair them and if you can it is not cheap nor are they readily available. Older posts on this site have suggested that the heaviest gauge lawn trimmer line you can buy will suffice to replace the old plastic line. Hope this helps.