News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac power steering pump

Started by Houston747, July 20, 2020, 12:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houston747

Hello,

I have a 1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville, my power steering pump has gone bad and this is the first time I would be replacing it. I ordered a power steering pump online which does not come with a reservoir. I was wondering would I be able to take the reservoir of the pump on my car and put it on the new one? Or would I have to buy a pump that comes with a reservoir? And would I need a gasket when replacing the pump? I have included two pictures, one for the unit on my car and the other for the power steering pump I ordered.

Thanks.
A.AlRub

chrisntam

When I did mine, I bought a rebuilt pump with the reservoir.   Let the rebuilder install it to the pump, one less place for leakage.  You'll also have to remove your pulley and install in on the replacement pump.  I recall that being a challenge, as I did not want to damage the pulley as a replacement may be difficult to find and may be moderately pricey.

Have you checked Rock Auto?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Houston747

I have bought this one off rockauto. They said this one would be a direct fit.
A.AlRub

savemy67

Hello Houston747,

The photo of the pump you bought from RockAuto will fit your car with the addition of the reservoir from the pump currently on your car.  From the photo, the pump appears to come with the pump to reservoir gasket (the red o-ring in the photo), but there are other gaskets on the rear of the pump that are required to properly seal the reservoir.  I cannot tell from the photo if these are included.  RockAuto shows the pump selling for $130.00.

If you feel confident that you can remove and replace the reservoir without any problems, then you may want to consider rebuilding the pump if it is rebuildable.  What is wrong with your pump?  RockAuto sells the Edelman 7910 rebuild kit for less than $7.00.

If you have any concerns about your ability to remove and replace the reservoir, then get a pump that has the reservoir included.  Unfortunately, none of the reservoirs that come with the pumps that RockAuto sells is the OE style, because the major rebuilders are running out of OE reservoirs.

As chrisntam posted, you will have to swap pulleys.  Do you have a shop manual?  It is difficult to impossible to remove the pulley nut and pulley with the pump in the car.  It is a messy job if your engine bay has been neglected.  If you remove the pump/pulley from the car, you may need a method of holding the pulley while removing the nut, without damaging the pulley.  I hold a V belt tightly in the pulley groove, and use an impact wrench to loosen the nut (and I still have all my fingers).  Once the nut is off, you still have to remove the pulley.  It may fall off, or it might require disassembly of the old pump and the use of a press.  See here for my adventure:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133691.60

Scroll down to reply #76

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Houston747

Thanks for the reply Christopher, since I am overseas I ordered the pump with the reservoir in order to get the job done easier.
A.AlRub