News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help !! Pros and cons ...new Design Versus original POA valves

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, July 20, 2020, 07:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
     I am at a crossroads on my decision . I have to replace my POA Valve.  Putting originality aside  I want to do what’s best for the car . The original valve from what I understand works on pressure. The newer valve works on sending electric current to your compressor and has its cycle when needed . With that being said what is the best choice for the car in the year 2020. At this point I want what’s best  and more dependable for the  Me and the car .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

35-709

The replacement "POA" valve works with pressure using a pressure switch to turn the compressor on and off as dictated by the pressures.  The pressure switch has an adjustment to change the turn on/turn off pressures, if necessary (they are supposedly preset), as you can read in the installation and adjustment sheet that comes with the replacement valve. 
Greg Surfas and others can better explain how the original POA valve functions (although the shop manual might be a good read).  I stand with my previous advice to rebuild and retain your original POA valve if you --- "want what's best and more dependable for Me and the car".
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dan LeBlanc

Your a/c was designed with the principle of a continually operating compressor in mind.  Many, MANY people have installed the POA eliminator kit which you have pictured, and many are not satisfied saying their a/c is not as cool as before.  Get the proper POA valve and be done with it.  Firstly, your compressor will thank you for it.  Second, your a/c will perform AS DESIGNED, that is to be cold in all climates.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,

Bad news and very good news . I had my Expansion Valve , Evaporator   and   newer designed POA valved installed in my car. The car  is still running with R-12 refrigerant .  Every thing works as it should .  Every function  low , high , fog ,vent . When put in automatic and dialed down to 65 the servo valve functions as it should with cold air blowing out of the dash vents . Set dial to 80 and dash vents shut down and lower heat vents open up .  This is a big deal for  me .  Now i will send my  original Frigidaire  POA valve to be rebuilt by Original Air Group . For now i can live with the new POA valve .

Thank you everyone for your help . I really appreicate it . I should have the rebuilt valve by September when we will get some nice hot days to enjoy it .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Christam,
       The bad news is that i am running with the POA valve that most people think might be inferior to the stock POA valve .  And i think i agree with the other members .  I need a month to six  weeks to get the original POA rebuilt .

Bill 
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS