News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Can’t find Differential fill

Started by Jvteach07, July 21, 2020, 10:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jvteach07

Recently inherited an uncles 1970 Deville Convertible. The pinion seal is leaking but before I change it I wanted to check the fluid. I cannot find the fill hole anywhere. Top, bottom, front, back. My dad even came and tried to find it as he worked on car in the past. Any advice?
Joe Tortora
1970 Cadillac Devill Convertible

chrisntam

As you look at the diff from the front, it’s on the right side about 1/2 way up. IIRC it takes a 3/8” ratchet extension to open it. I think it’s atop a reinforcing rib. Get a light under there, you’ll find it.   Wire brush the area to clean it up prior to opening it.   Gear lube with a piece of 3/8” fuel line attached to fill it.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jvteach07

I looked all around and still cannot find it. I heard it could be considered a "sealed unit" could that be? It is currently leaking fluid from the pinion seal so I need some way of adding fluid after I swap out the seal.
Thank you
Joe Tortora

chrisntam

I’ll get under mine tomorrow to get a picture for you. I’ll also look in the FSM and let you know. It’s not a sealed unit. Do you have a removable inspection cover in the back?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jvteach07

Yes there is a cover on the back. No drain or fill in that either
Joe Tortora

chrisntam

Thanks, just being sure the diff is a ‘70. Nothing in the FSM. I get some pics of it tomorrow.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jvteach07

Joe Tortora

Cadman-iac

Joe,
The fill plug is just behind the front pinion retainer housing on the left side and slightly above the centerline of the pinion shaft.  Here's a picture of what it looks like. Hope this helps you find it.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Richard, that is a perfect picture and a great help to all of us, thanks so much!

Jim Govoni
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

chrisntam

Thanks for posting the pic!  That diff looks "fresh".  Saves me from having to get under mine to get pics.

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jvteach07

Thank you for the photo and info. I found it! Rusted like you predicted. I am assuming I just fill it until it runs out? Thank you again. Replacing the Pinion seal now.
Joe Tortora

chrisntam

Yep, wire brush it real good and wipe the area.  Remove the plug and fill until it runs out.  I used a length of 3/8” fuel line to direct the lube into the hole.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Richard, that is one CLEAN drivetrain.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadman-iac

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 24, 2020, 01:28:03 PM
Richard, that is one CLEAN drivetrain.
Thanks,  it took me a while to get it that way. This is the one that is going under my 56 eventually, that is if I can ever get a new shop built so I can have the room to actually work on it. This damned Chinese virus has really messed up all my plans.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Cadman-iac on July 25, 2020, 04:59:05 AM
This damned Chinese virus has really messed up all my plans.

Not only yours, Rick!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101