News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Classic Blue Paint; 1932

Started by DaveZ, July 22, 2020, 09:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveZ

Has anyone found a match to the Classic Blue Cadillac used? Also, is it the same as the later Antoinette Blue and the just changed the name?
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

fishnjim

When you're dealing with paint this old, you're not in the realm of "matching" per se. Even the words "classic blue" have many variants.
Most of the pigments and materials don't exist, so a close approximation is probably the best compromise.   Some still exist but maybe made by different techniques.   
Everything ages, paint is no exception, so what you see today, wasn't even what they saw then.   If you can find the original paint formula, it can probably be matched fairly well.   Most of the "big" paint co's, in the past half decade or so, no longer allow access to their archive paint databases without a valid business account.   So I'd talk to a body shop owner that can mix his own and see what they can come up with.   Alternate, TCP Global may be able to supply you a paint.   There was some "new" nitrocellulose paints floating around, but not sure they still are, or if they're matching.   "Authentic" is more a people and collector hobby thing these days than reality.   A lot of stuff has been lost to the ages already and not many who can remember accurately.   
I recommend to use what suits your eye.   If it survives, it'll be in need of change again someday.

DaveZ

You are absolutely correct. I do have the original tints and base codes. I was more wondering if someone has already gone through the tedious process that could tell me what they used etc. TCP has it listed for AU, but without seeing it I'm a bit leary in buying it sight unseen for the very reasons you stated. Worse comes to worse I will match it using One Shot and spraying it on a sheet for the paint shop to match:-)
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

goob

I used TCP Global to get the original color for our '41 convertible coupe...it took a couple weeks because they had to produce the base colors, etc...the results are perfect! Order extra to make sure you have enough for next time!!

Jeff Hansen

Dave,

Do you know CLC member Cliff Woodbury in the Philadelphia area?  See the Membership Directory for his contact information.  He recreated Classic Blue to paint his 1935 convertible coupe.  I'm willing to bet he can get you the formula.

Here's a link to a photo of that car from the Valley Forge Region website:
http://www.vfrclc.org/images/news/2020virtualshow/original_Cliff_20Woodbury_201935_20355_20D-20_20Convertible_20Coupe_20Style_20668.jpg

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Johan Boltendal #158

Dave I had it made in 2009 after the old formula and it is almost black , you need to keep it next to a black one the see it's actually blue. if you are looking for a black/blue color this is the one. Johan

DaveZ

Thanks guys. Correct Johan, you almost can't tell the difference. Dad remembers the car from before the war when it was still the Classic Blue and Black.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

DaveZ

I wet sanded and buffed under the trunk lid. Will bring it down to the paint shop to see if they can try and match it. See what the computer spits out if it's good enough to scan:-) I looked at Cliffs 35 and if I can I would like to try and make it darker. As Johann said it is almost black and looks beautiful when done.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

DaveZ

This is what I came up with after mixing and matching.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B