News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

73-76 rear seat backrest interchange question.

Started by 76eldo, July 24, 2020, 10:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

Question:  Would the rear seat back rest framework be the same on a 76 Eldorado coupe as a 73 Eldorado Convertible ?

I purchased a 73 Eldorado Convertible a few months ago.
I’m working on improving a few things on the car.
The rear seat backrest always looked a little odd to me but I have not gotten to working on the interior yet.

Today in the garage I looked at the back seat and I moved it and it’s just the back rear with foam sitting there with no metal frame behind it.  The support that hangs from the hooks at the top and bolts in at the bottom seems to be missing.

My friend Joe Caristo is parting out a 76 Eldorado coupe and the back seat is good.
I know it’s possible to remove my material and reinstall it on a different rear seat frame so if anyone knows if this will fit please let me know.

Thanks
Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Cadillac Fleetwood

The re-rationalization that occurred for the Eldorado in 1971 resulted in the rear seat cushion and rear seat backrest being the same for coupes and convertibles. Therefore, a coupe backrest or cushion will interchange with that of a convertible.

Moreover, all of the 1971 through 1976 Eldorado coupes and convertibles, as well as the 1977 and 1978 Eldorado coupes, have seat cushions and backrests which are identical in every respect but for trim.

You can use a 1976 backrest and apply your 1973 leather trim and padding to it.  A common problem with the convertible backrests not looking quite right is the fact that petite slender darlings, and not-so-petite slender darlings, like to perch there during parades, LOL.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

76eldo

Thank you Charles. Exactly what I needed to know. I had a feeling but wanted to be sure.
Thank you !
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

What about that center part of the back rest in convertibles with the speaker in it, or was that eliminated in 1971 convertibles?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Matti R

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 25, 2020, 01:27:03 AM
What about that center part of the back rest in convertibles with the speaker in it, or was that eliminated in 1971 convertibles?
There are no speakers in backrests in 71 Eldorados. No metal frame either. Just the masonite back plate, the cushion, and the seat cover of leather or fabric.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

That would explain why the back seat in my '72 was so destroyed when I got the car in 2008.

Always wondered just why it was in such bad condition.   The passengers must have been having a rollicking time as the top level was totally destroyed, and the one in the spare car I purchased wasn't quite as bad.

I had to string it all back together so it retained some sort of shape when driving, as when I got it, the seat back was simply flopping around in the wind with the roof down.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   At this stage, I am rebuilding it, gluing in sections as Masonite will glue together when tapered, but I am going to have to make the top section in Aluminium and and graft that to the back.   Replacing the torn upholstery is another matter.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Matti R

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 25, 2020, 03:48:02 AM
That would explain why the back seat in my '72 was so destroyed when I got the car in 2008.

Always wondered just why it was in such bad condition.   The passengers must have been having a rollicking time as the top level was totally destroyed, and the one in the spare car I purchased wasn't quite as bad.

I had to string it all back together so it retained some sort of shape when driving, as when I got it, the seat back was simply flopping around in the wind with the roof down.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   At this stage, I am rebuilding it, gluing in sections as Masonite will glue together when tapered, but I am going to have to make the top section in Aluminium and and graft that to the back.   Replacing the torn upholstery is another matter.
Looks familiar. I attached a little bit stronger plywood plate to what was left of the masonite. And I found some small metal hooks which I attached to plywood with rivets. Far from perfect, but it works.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

76eldo

Huh. That explains why I didn’t see much there.
I am surprised at the lack of support used on the backrest.
The top part is drooping and I will have to see the best way to repair it.

Thanks

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: 76eldo on July 25, 2020, 09:08:26 AM
I am surprised at the lack of support used on the backrest.

Thanks

Brian

I guess that GM wasn't thinking that the seat backrest would be called upon to support derrieres, bums, arses, asses, tookeses, and lower posteriors ... and cheapened the assembly accordingly.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

MaR

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on July 25, 2020, 06:12:22 PM
I guess that GM wasn't thinking that the seat backrest would be called upon to support derrieres, bums, arses, asses, tookeses, and lower posteriors ... and cheapened the assembly accordingly.

-Charles Fares
They expected people to keep their junk in the trunk.  ;D