News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Torsion Bar adjustment on 69 Eldorado

Started by Loveofclassics78, July 27, 2020, 04:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loveofclassics78

Good afternoon!
I did a measurement of the standing height of my Eldo. Based off the information in the shop manual, I’m about half an inch too low. I know how to adjust the torsion bar at the screw.  I just wanted to confirm, do I adjust the torsion bar while the car is on or off the ground?

Thanks,
Don

TJ Hopland

I do it off the ground especially if you want to go higher.   Already lots of stress and likely rust on that bolt you need to make it as easy as possible to turn it.   I have had some that even with several soakings of penatrant didn't hardly want to loosen so I didn't even try tighter.    On that car I ended up swapping the rear springs side to side and that was enough to even it out. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

I thought the half shafts should be parallel to the ground, is
that wrong?  Do bounce it a bit before making the check.  If
the T bar tool is available, tension may be taken off the
adjuster to service it if needed, a little anti seize goes on the
threads of mine.  Bruce Roe