News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

60 CDV 6 Way Seat Problem

Started by Michael Petti, July 27, 2020, 04:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Petti

Repairing 6 way seat mechanism from a parts car.  The motor does work in both directions, and I can feel the solenoids clicking when switches activated. However motor does not operate in all positions even though solenoids are clicking. I have purchased a new switch from Fusick and I have same problem. Could it be the relay? I have opened it and cleaned all the contacts, interior and those on the top and all the wires have continuity. any advice will be appreciated.

Matt Innocenzi

Silly question, but are you operating it with the switch or by jumping wires?  Reason I ask is that the switch powers multiple components at the same time. 
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

Michael Petti

I am using the switch. That is why I am perplexed.

Joshua

I recommend jumping the wires. This will confirm that there is not a break in any of the wires and will help isolate the issue.
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window (X2)
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4 Window
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood
1964 Volkswagen Type I

Michael Petti

I have not jumped the wires, but i have checked each one with an ohm meter and there is continuity thru each wire. originally all the wires from the switch to the loom were cut at the door jam. Don't ask me why. i soldered them back together and tested each one individually so I think the wires are good. I will try jumping them, just to be sure. I not able to get to that for several days. The parts came from a donor car about 100K miles that sat in a barn with a collapsed roof for years. Rusted the roof out and water poured in during bad weather. That's why I am questioning the parts. Solenoids click in all positions but motor does not turn in all positions. The motor does not turn for the forward or backward movement nor for the rear edge tilt down. I do not know how the check the solenoids. They could be suspect too. Again any advice is appreciated. I am stumped.

Michael Petti

I solved the electrical problem. Seems the former owner or whoever cut all the wires at the door jam reversed 2 of the wires in the plug that goes on the switch bottom. Reversed them and all worked. Thanks to everyone who helped me, special thanks for the 1961 manual.
Next issue is mounting the parts under the seat. Does anyone have  a photo of exactly how they mount. under there. The transmission bracket is there but there is nothing for the motor mount.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Michael Petti on July 30, 2020, 04:59:41 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped me, special thanks for the 1961 manual.   
As the '61 Manual can't talk, I will add that if it could talk, it would thank you for reading it, and understanding what it has to educate you.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Michael Petti

Yes, the manual was great. It would have been nice if GM or whoever prints the 60 supplement to the 59 manual would have included it  in the later printings.
Now I have to mount all this. My seat has a mounting for the transmission on the leading edge of the seat. There is no obvious mounting for the motor and relay. my motor does have a bracket on it but it's not a full one like the 61 thru 63 bracket I have seen.
Does anyone know if the motor mounts directly to the leading edge of the 1960  front seat or do I need to get the bracket that I saw.
The manual is silent on this subject. As always thanks in advance for any help or advice., especially pictures.

Michael Petti

I see this is getting views so i thought id let everyone know i got the hardware in and it's working. The bar I saw of a 61 thru 63 i not used on the late year 60. Parts are mounted to brackets on the leading edge of the seat on the drivers side. Its great not to have to slump in the seat to reach the pedals.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions in this post and the prior one I had on this subject.

Matt Innocenzi

Michael, sorry I am reading this a little late.  Did you get your mounting issue solved?  I can send some pics if needed. 
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

Michael Petti

yes I did. Thanks for looking though.  On the redesigned 60 set up the parts mount to the leading edge of the front seat. mounts are built in. I did replace the switch though which it appears is not perfect and may have to go back to the original one.