News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Scarebird bracket for wilwood dual MC on 52 series 62

Started by Omarine, July 27, 2020, 09:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omarine

Evening all,

So i went ahead and got the scarebird Bracket that’s supposed to work with wilwood 260-7563 on frame mounted master cylinders. Here’s the link:

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=123

Does anyone have experience with this? Laying under the car, the push rod on the clevis comes straight out and so close to the frame rail that it doesn't line up with the bracket and new MC bore. The bracket itself also
Seems bulky which might interfere with pedal travel if not carefully mocked up.

It’s almost like the pedal needs and offset clevis to move the push rod away from the frame rail enough for straight travel into MC bore.

Little details that never seem to get mentioned in ads...

Thanks everyone, of course i promised the car for a photo op at a wedding this sunday, no pressure though...

Cheers
Oscar
1949 Harley Davidson FL
1952 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr hardtop

Omarine

Well i guess i will be finding another alternative. Going to rebuild stock MC. Impossible with the bracket i got and also, the pedal offers about 1/2” of push rod travel. The willwood piston travels 1.1”, so there’s another reason.

Cheers
1949 Harley Davidson FL

TJ Hopland

I have been through similar issues with other less popular cars.   Even if the pedal could travel would its position be reasonable?  Probably not, it would end up too high or too low or both.   

On one project I looked at building some sort of a bell crank mechanism to get the travel and maybe mount things in a better spot but that was going to require a lot of mock up to figure out.     

About the best route I found but didn't do yet was to do what they call a swing arm setup which may require a different or modified hole for the rod in the floor with a hydroboost.    Just isn't enough ground clearance to put a vac booster under the floor unless you have a very early car or a truck.    There are some kits for 50's chev trucks but they don't come with the pedal part so you would have to find an original which I never researched to see how hard that is to find or what mods would be required to fit it in the car I was working on. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Omarine

Thanks for the reply TJ, i was thinking of re addressing the issue maybe using sheet metal to bend up a template. It would need a nice wrap around curve to realign the new MC. Would love to get the car up in the air for that...
1949 Harley Davidson FL