News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958: Obscure Color "Correctness" Question

Started by wbdeford, July 28, 2020, 01:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

I am rebuilding my center link and noticed that one of my springs has orange and blue ends, and the other does not.  The new ones in the kit have those colors.  Anyone know if the originals are like that?  I'm guessing they were not, and that one of mine was replaced before with the idler arm, but....

I know this totally doesn't matter....just curious.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

fishnjim

Usually covered in grease, so not noticed.   
Maybe a makers mark for different spring rates, so can be distinguished, but a guess.   I'm pretty sure mine were all original, but one never knows for sure.
Since it's the same as the other one, I wouldn't worry.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

To build on Jim's comments, in 1966 the springs are color marked to denote different spring rates for different models and equipment. The color code is listed in the SM.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

wbdeford

This was a curiosity question, not a worry question :)

I talked to a blacksmith friend who said the colors come about from heat, probably when the ends were flattened.  The blue means it got hotter than where it was orange, and the rest didn't get hot enough for that.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville