News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What Kind of Mufflers to Use on 500" Cad Engine in 37 LaSalle

Started by carlhungness, July 28, 2020, 09:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

As one who has written thousands of headlines I think this one says it all and it is a pet peeve of mine for fellow members to headline a post that says nothing about the content of the post.
     Since my body is off the chassis and I'm not making any major modifications I think now is  the best time to fabricate a dual exhaust system, so looking for suggestions as which mufflers to use. Quiet is the goal. The flathead was quiet so I think my big block Cad engine should be the same.
       Speaking of modifications, I had to trim about half an inch off the center cross member plates in order to give me room for my u-joint to spin on my automatic transmission. I'm not using the brand new Tremec 5 speed with overdrive, so it's for sale. I didn't remove enough material to weaken the structure, but installed a reinforcing plate under the cross member just to combat the added torque I'll have.

35-709

:)  How about a muffler for a '70s 472/500.  Waldron's, Classic Exhaust, and others, maybe even NAPA can get one (or two).
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Abe Lugo

Please post a video or link to a video when you get done with the exhaust.  I would imagine that a few other engine factors, like manifolds and tuning will effect the sounds even if you use stock mufflers.
Also note that the amount of things between you and a 500 engine in a ‘37 vs something Late 60-75 would be much different.  Windows, insulation, dashboard etc.   so the sound level will be higher.
I am actually changing mine out on my ‘41.  I’m going to Porter exhausts.  Most likely will be a dual exhaust setup.  But it one of those when change one thing you see another you have to tend to situations.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

mario

Carl:
I used flowmaster hp2 (hushpower) in my 500 ci powered 49 sedannette. Specifically because of the  X frame design. My son has commented that my car is too quiet, inside of the car. It does have a nice sounding idle, not annoying,  but you can hear it.
Check out this youtube video comparison of different flowmasters.
https://youtu.be/EUUteVjNdI0
I hope this helps.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

carlhungness

I would not have thought of trying to locate sound tests of various mufflers, good suggestion. Thanks.