News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Caddy Heat help

Started by usroman, July 31, 2020, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usroman

Hi,
I have a 47 Cadillac convertible. Original engine and tranny. I have a question if anyone who has the vehicle experiences extreme heat coming from the floor or from under the dash.
I do not have the heating system, I removed it i thought it was the source of it, I closed all the holes leading into the the salon and dynomatted the entire floor under the seats and the pedals. Yet i am still unable to drive it, the heat is that bad. The engine does not over heat, and I am not sure if the tranny can really emit that much heat. Speaking to my mechanic he thinks that because the location of the exhausts are not under the engine like in the newer cars so the air from the front of the car pushes all that heat into the salon of car. I am just not sure that it is entirely correct, how do or did the people drive the car in the summer, especially hard tops, because I feel like I am cooking...
Has anyone experienced this, or any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you!
Roman Usta

Jay Friedman

Have you checked the muffler under the car to make sure it doesn't pass too close to the floor board? 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

harry s

...another consideration is floorboard insulation under the carpeting.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

fishnjim

Hate to say it, but not that uncommon in some of the older vehicles.  Some "egg fryers"  just had rubber mats over the steel.   Mostly was where the muffler was positioned right under the floor pan.   They weren't driven like they are today. 
Heat rises.  See if you can re-route the exhaust, but X-frames don't have many options.   You could wrap the exhaust with that heat resistant header tape and there's some spray systems that deaden noise and insulate from heat.   They're not cheap and require the interior to come out to apply.   Lizard Skin is one such brand.   I don't endorse products, do your research.
Some of my reasoning for thinking "original" is not always best.   Of course, if you're not from the era, you'd never know.   Even I am not as old as your car - hard to believe I know...   I suspect vintage air is in someone's future...

Bill Ingler #7799

I have a 47 convert which I bought in 1985 and I had similar heat problems as yours. Here are a few areas which you should look at on your car. Even though my engine was not running hot I still put a new core in the radiator. My old core had some of the tubes plugged or partially plugged. I wrapped the exhaust in new heat resistance material , installed a new fire wall insulator and insulated under the carpet as Harry suggested. Finally I installed the front engine pan that was missing from the car. This pan helps direct the air from the radiator to pass over part of the engine rather than let the air go under the engine. Each of the these procedures decreases the inside car temp a little but  taken all together, cools the inside of the car so it is more enjoyable to drive. Enjoy your 47 convert, a fun car.   Bill

usroman

Thank you all for the help! at least i now have a direction to try things out before i make a huge investment of a crate motor..
Roman Usta

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum