News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Drivetrain

Started by gkhashem, August 01, 2020, 11:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkhashem

I am going to seal some of my leaks so I want to make sure I got all of the parts and I do have a experienced guy to do it for me.

I am not leaking real bad but the rear pinion seal is leaking enough.

I did the oil pan gaskets on the engine oil and transmission a while ago,

So here is my list from the engine back.

1. Rear main seal (Fel-Pro BS400961)
2. Extension housing seal where the drive shaft connects to the transmisson
3. U-joints.  I need to check the setup but its one of two. I am using Dana Spicer U-joints and greaseable ones
4. Pinion seal at the rear of the driveshaft where I am leaking the most.
5. Center bearing will be checked but should be OK since I get no vibrations while driving. Can you grease the bearing?
6. Another transmission oil pan since I am going to drain it I assume.

I understand the issue with getting the driveshaft back on in the same torque so I really do not need those warnings since my mechanic knows this but I get all the parts for him and want to just do all seals and do it once.

So am I missing anything?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

fishnjim

My industrial experience with seals says, that if one seal change doesn't solve the problem then it's bearing related.  (assumes the application is correct)   So be hopeful, just the seal is the pinion issue.   Check the run out.   May want to pull the rears and check the end seals for seepage.
Always go by mileage(hours) when assessing wear.   If you're cars over 50K, anythings' possible with a car that age.

gkhashem

Not over 50K, bought at 39K now after 6 years 44K

With 3K coming in the first 18-24 months I had it.  We see no leakage at the rear wheel bearing if thats what you suggest.

I can see the seepage on the rear differential pumpkin at the center where the yoke is. Also a  minor leak at the rear main seal.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

savemy67

Hello George,

The Fel-Pro kit you mentioned includes the "shoe horn" tool for installing the rear main seal with the engine in the car.  I would be curious to know if your mechanic will offset the seal's parting lines with respect to the rear main cap/block parting line.

I don't think the center bearing is greasable, but the shop manual should specify.  The center bearing may be shimmed.

Removal of the drive shaft and extension housing seal should result in minor fluid loss.  I don't think it will be necessary to drain the transmission fluid.  Just top it off.

I concur with Jim that any subsequent leaks may be due to worn (in this case) bushings.  Gravity is inexorable.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Roger Zimmermann

The center bearing cannot be greased, it's a sealed unit. If you have to drain the transmission, there is a drain plug at the rear.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

gkhashem

Back to the suggestion the bearings are shot. All the rear bearings appear to be lubricated by the differential oil.

The rear was not dry when I got it so cannot imagine it ever got dry with a 39K mile car, plus I sucked it out and put in new fresh oil and have checked it every year or so and it was never low.

Its just enough oil to make some seepage around the rear yoke and pinion seal. So I doubt its a bearing but maybe.

I know enough about the car that it went from Buffalo NY to Santa Monica CA and back when new which was 5,000 miles then the next 34,500 miles took 55 years so the car most likely sat a lot and some seals I imagine dried out.

The reason I ask about the center bearing since I found a thread on here about a 1958 and you could lubricate that bearing.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

Daryl Chesterman

George, I would suggest that since you are going to change the pinion seal, and will have to suck out some of the differential oil, that you should also change the rear axle seals.  They are probably made of the same material as the pinion seal and have the same miles and years as the pinion seal.  You could look in the service manual to see how much time it would take and weigh that against possibly having to do the rear axle seals at some time in the near future and having to drain some of the differential oil at that time.  With <50,000 miles on the car, I doubt there is enough of a groove worn in the pinion seal surface to warrant a speedy seal, but it is worth mentioning to your mechanic.

Daryl Chesterman

gkhashem

Daryl if those seals were bad would I not see oil coming out on the ends of the axle too.

I really see it just at the center. So while good to check this I think this is not the issue here and if its easy to do yes, but I think those rear bearing are something I rather not disturb if not needed to play with.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Daryl Chesterman on August 02, 2020, 01:31:41 PM
George, I would suggest that since you are going to change the pinion seal, and will have to suck out some of the differential oil, that you should also change the rear axle seals. 
Daryl, the axle seals are integrated into the rear wheel bearings. If they are tight and no leak, no reason to replace them.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't forget that the axle seals only get any oil on them is when the car is being driven, or parked on a road with some camber.   Park on the other side of the road, and the oil goes to the other side.

I have seen the results of a vehicle that has been not used for many years, and you wouldn't believe the amount of rust that was on the top of the crown wheel and pinion, above the oil level, after the oil simply settled down after it was parked.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon