News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

YouTube video of 52 convertible in Sri Lanka

Started by ceejay, August 02, 2020, 01:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceejay

Hello everyone,

I have the only Cadillac convertible in Sri Lanka. It is a 1952 convertible.

I have just started doing a lot of mechanical repairs on it.

If you would like to follow the work being done on it, do watch my videos.

https://youtu.be/nmdNTp4BGgg

Thank you

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day ceejay,

Thank you for posting your initial video and showing us around the world what you have come up against.

Looks like someone in the past has just done sufficient repairs to get the car back on the road, by simply replacing one bad piston.   This happens a lot when one cannot get access to parts, and looking at the sludge, that was done a really long time ago.

When did the car get into Sri Lanka?   Do you know its' history.

Your stating that you didn't take the video initially is understandable, as doing small bits, chasing noises, etc, one gets caught up in the moment and just wants to get the simple job done quickly.   Washing the hands all the time to grab the camera gets in the way of just getting it done.   Then as one goes deeper, one remembers too late to grab the camera.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Anyway, the car is, despite its age, in a good condition. It seems that you know where to get Cadillac parts, which must not be worse in Sri Lanka as in Europe or Australia!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

James Landi

Cee Jay,

Thank you so very much for providing a wonderfully concise narrative, great still pictures, and video.  Having been involved in old Cadillacs all of my "driving" life, I feel sad that the car was misrepresented to you.  Apparently, as was stated above by another member, the engine had just sufficient mechanical restoration for you to get it running, but as you noted, pulling the engine at this point makes absolute sense.  We noticed your collection of cars, and it is indeed impressive, and I am certain many CLC club members will loyally follow your videos about your lovely convertible.  We've also observed that having a video and your narrative record of your work, your expertise, and your investment is a great way to "curate" your project, not only for others to enjoy, but for that time, in the future, when you decide to sell this beautiful car.   Congratulations, and thank you for posting,   James

ceejay

Thank you all for your comments.

Please do like the video and follow my channel to see the new videos which I will do.

The car came to Sri Lanka when it was new in 1952. The full history of the car is known.

I first saw this car in 1994. It was with a classic car trader who we knew very well. I was a very young lad then but very interested in Classics and I had a 1960 Morris Minor which my dad (who was also an engineer like I am now) taught me to repair.

I was in love with this Cadillac at that time. It was my dream car. However the car needed ground up restoration and my dad was not keen to take it on so we did not buy it.

My love for it did not reduce. I used to look at photos of Cadillacs online and always want one.

The car was sold to a family friend in 1996 and in 1998 he sent it to USA for restoration.

He got the car back in year 2000 I believe. I remember seeing it after it came back and it looked beautiful.

After I returned to Sri Lanka from UK with as a qualified automotive engineer, I helped at a friend's workshop and this car came to us for minor work.

The gentleman who owned it, used it till 2012 when it needed to be re painted.

He handed the car over to a very prestigious workshop in 2012 and they worked on the car till 2019 when it was completed by them and I bought it. It came to me straight from their workshop.

It is at this point that my Video diary starts.

I shall keep you folks updated in videos as work goes on.

CJ

Cadman-iac

That's a beautiful car, and I hope you get it back together and on the road where it belongs without too much trouble.
Makes you wonder just what kind of shop it was at before. If I understood you correctly,  it was repaired/rebuilt here in the states 20 or more years ago?
Good luck with your repairs, and keep us posted on your progress. Great car!

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

ceejay

Quote from: Cadman-iac on August 03, 2020, 11:34:42 AM
That's a beautiful car, and I hope you get it back together and on the road where it belongs without too much trouble.
Makes you wonder just what kind of shop it was at before. If I understood you correctly,  it was repaired/rebuilt here in the states 20 or more years ago?
Good luck with your repairs, and keep us posted on your progress. Great car!

Rick

Thank you Rick,
Yes the car was first restored in USA a long time ago.

novetti

Great Video. Beautiful car.

Have the vehicle been imported into Sri Lanka recently? Or has it lived all this time there?

I guess the misfire at that bore was more caused from lack of compression (due to poor sealing at the valves, than the cylinder bore scoring itself). A head/valve job is mandatory on this vehicles when the heads are removed (looks like who serviced it before hasn't done the heads properly).

Keep up the good work and keeping us posted.

Greetings from down under

Cheers

Julio
54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

wrench

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Patrick Fant

to CeeJay --
You are an inspiration!  stay with it.  The car is worth all that your going through.  too bad it is such a mess but you will work through it.  Clearly the engine had to be pulled.  I did the same thing and replaced all the parts - you will be so happy when it is running like a Cadillac. pat
Patrick Fant
Houston
CLC #31723