News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1951 - 1953 turn signal lever disassembly

Started by G Pennington, August 04, 2020, 07:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Pennington

I need to remove the knob from the end of my turn signal lever so I can re-chrome the lever and restore the plastic knob.  Managed to pry the chrome end off the knob, but the knob will not unscrew from the lever ... just spins.  Haven't a clue how it comes apart.  Don't want to risk breaking the 60+ year old plastic knob.
Any suggestions?
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

J. Gomez

Quote from: G Pennington on August 04, 2020, 07:12:43 PM
I need to remove the knob from the end of my turn signal lever so I can re-chrome the lever and restore the plastic knob.  Managed to pry the chrome end off the knob, but the knob will not unscrew from the lever ... just spins.  Haven't a clue how it comes apart.  Don't want to risk breaking the 60+ year old plastic knob.
Any suggestions?

Gary,

On the ’56 Service Manual suggest placing the plastic/Bakelite piece in hot water to soften it up so you can pull it out of the shaft. It does not specify the temp; you can try that and see if that helps.

Both the shaft and the end piece are pressed into the plastic end.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

The Tassie Devil(le)

I don't suppose you had a look in the hole to see if there is a screw down there?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Ventresca

all you have to do is put a crescent wrench behind the small cap , clamp lever in a vise with rubber , and tap the knob off. Dave

G Pennington

Got the shifter knob off using Dave's crescent wrench method.  Had to heat up turn signal knob (with heat gun), but it also came off by tapping with a crescent wrench.  Thanks for the suggestions. 
Unfortunately, the TS knob and the little trim ring (fits between knob and stalk) flew off.  Found the knob but couldn't find the trim ring  :(  So if anybody has or knows of one that's available please let me know.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

carguyblack

I have one of these from a 1956 Cadillac if they're the same size. Maybe Jose can weigh in on that one. Thanks, Jose!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

carguyblack

Looks to me like my 56 version is a bit slimmer than your pictured one.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

G Pennington

Well after about an hour crawling on my shop floor I finally found the damn thing!  Flew 10 feet and wound up under the car.  Many thanks for all the help!
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

35-709

;D  They always end up under the car!  Usually direct center!  Or, on rare occasions, directly under your roll-around tool chest in which case you find them a year or two later.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

carguyblack

Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille