News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Are museums shedding their assets

Started by Ohjai, August 05, 2020, 01:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohjai

I have been looking for something to purchase the last couple of months and it appears to me that many cars being sold today are coming from museums.

A maritime museum around Lake Tahoe has closed its doors and selling off their assets on Bring-a-Trailer, looking at a 59, I noticed the pictures and it is in a tank museum.  A 1928 Buick for sale is shown in a museum.

Is this a new trend or has it been going on for  awhile.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

wrench

Between being closed for months, economic issues and travel restrictions, there are many predictions that 1/3 of the museums in the country will close permanently.

I do not use NPR as a source for news, and won’t discuss why, but they did cover this recently.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/22/894049653/one-third-of-u-s-museums-may-not-survive-the-year-survey-finds

A link from the article:

https://www.worldofspeed.org/
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Ohjai

Thanks Jim.  As they mentioned, cash reserve is getting low.  To stay open, they may have to sell off some of their assets just to last through the current crisis.  If they start selling off their cars, will it cause a glut in the market, and reduce the selling price for the small collector?

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

wrench

I think it’s a buyer’s market right now and the biggest issue is to not pay too much if you are a buyer and not take to little if you are a seller.

I don’t collect cars for financial interest. (Fool’s errand) They are machines, I am a mechanic and I like to bomb around in old iron. That’s where the margin is for me, the car has to be able to be driven.

All the rest of that market jazz is not my thing.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

The Tassie Devil(le)

I went to a Museum when attending the 2002 Dearborn GN and went through a wonderful Museum called "Car-Rail".

It was a fantastic place to visit, but it closed down in 2003, and everything was sold off.

Some Museums cannot simply stay open because they are Museums.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   It is a sad day when these places close down, but I like to think of it as a chance for many people to enjoy actually using items as they were designed for, and not simply stuck in one spot, wasting away.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillac ken

Probably the difference between a real museum and a private collection fronted as a museum (for tax reasons).  "collector" museums will still be around but those that rely on donations and cars provided by collectors are probably bearing the brunt of this Corona stuff.

Also, as pointed out many times, the interest in these old cars is waning.