News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Lyriq EV

Started by jdemerson, August 07, 2020, 06:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

GM and Cadillac executives introduced the Cadillac Lyriq SUV last night.

http://cadillacsociety.com/2020/08/06/watch-the-cadillac-lyriq-reveal-right-here-video/

I found it interesting that the opening "Verse" of the long program featured some of Cadillac's history that is familiar to all of us here:  the Cadillac Cyclone, the '67 Eldorado, and a '56 Eldorado Biarritz.

In some ways the presentation was well-done, but in other ways it was a disappointment. For example, the dubs at the bottom of the screen went by very fast but if you were paying attention you could see that they were full of errors. I think there must have been machine translation, without any human editing or correction. Some of the errors were quite amusing.

I also find it annoying to hear over and over again, "That's a great question", "As Mark said", and "Thanks, Mark". (Mark Reuss is GM president.)

The model introduced is a concept vehicle that would have been shown at the New York Automobile Show in April. The production version will be introduced in 2022 as a 2023 model.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Big Apple Caddy

Hopefully Cadillac will have great success with the EVs.  I'm still trying to warm up to the "iq" names Lyriq, Celestiq, Optiq, Symboliq, etc.  I understand Cadillac also still plans to throw in a "classic" name or two in the future.

Greg Powers

Unfortunately once again something that is really not identifiable as a Cadillac. Even in the press release, looks much like a European make. Best of Luck.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

64\/54Cadillacking

One thing I will say is that the cool lighting aspects of the car is something that I think will make the biggest difference between this Cadillac and other lesser brands. We all know that Cadillac knows how to design and build amazing concept cars, but has struggled mightily to implement that same level of excitement and execution into the production models.

The rear end of this thing is ugly and honestly looks like a Honda CRV just with extra lights. Nothing original or truly groundbreaking besides for its capabilities and technology that is built into it.

At least the brand is trying, and really wants to improve its status among the luxury lineup. GM does have years of experience in building EV’s while Ford and many other automakers don’t. So this has allowed GM to further its development far more than others.

Their marketing is still this ho hum feel good tactics that seems to be full of hot air. Cadillacs problem in its marketing for the last 2 decades, has been the lack of showing off the car as being something that makes a statement. A luxury vehicle that elevates one into a high level status of society. One that has a sense of class and sophistication.

They have abandoned this tactic in favor for a more dreamy sorta lame way of luring people to the brand. I’m not saying that they have to start advertising Broughamnism, but a sense of Class which has been sorely lacking in all of Cadillacs vehicles for a very longtime. I still don’t like the looks of a CUV, so I’m waiting for their EV sedan to really hopefully make an impact on the styling front.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Rich S

Although I love the Cadillac brand, I did not finish watching the whole video. After a bit more than half of it, I left quite disappointed. As others mentioned, there was not much that appeared to be "ground-breaking" in either the features discussed or the styling shown and I did not find the executives impressive, either. I wish Cadillac luck with its "new direction," as also exemplified with their recent advertising. As I have said before, dynamic styling will be their best asset towards being successful with a new model--but this Lyriq appears to have been made for the Asian markets, which have regrettably become their largest market, and I was also reminded of the Honda CR-V when studying the Lyriq. I also hold out hope that the new Cadillac Sedan will have great styling with some degree of acknowledgement of its Cadillac heritage.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Big Apple Caddy

Although Cadillac claims this reflects about 80-85% of the final production vehicle, it's still the concept car.  What the actual production car will look like remains to be seen.

Cadman-iac

Besides the person speaking as the video begins,  the first one that they show immediately says "I was born in China", which tells me that this is where the company is headed.
What a shame that we can't keep our country's premier luxury car maker within our shores.
I guess I just don't understand. I know that we know how to make a beautiful car,  an innovative car, a technologically advanced car. Why do they feel the need to move offshore in order to build them? Is it the emissions from manufacturing,  or the regulation? Did our green tree huggers run everyone out?
I know that China has just as bad,  if not worse air pollution from manufacturing plants. Is it that they don't care and just want the jobs?
I know that we can figure out how to cut emissions and pollution,  we're an innovative bunch! So is it just the greed of the upper management?
Can someone enlighten me? I'm confused!

Rick

PS:  I have to agree with others too about the look of this one.  The word "fugly" comes to mind.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

59-in-pieces

The idea of an all electric Cadillac is intriguing and especially at the right price point for reliability.

However, Made in China, I'LL PASS - enough of our jobs and too much of our money as well, and our technology has evaporated in that direction.

Besides, if it is made in China, you'll need lots of sanitizers when it gets here to avoid the Covid-19 - or whatever the new one will be labeled,
Oh, and yes you;ll need your best PPE's (Personal Protection Equipment) when you drive it.

I also agree that its design is a yawn - but ugly - and not at all futuristic enough to sport such touted innovation.

Again GM, you just couldn't get it across the line for the touchdown - so sad.
Sales start with eye catching, exciting, inspired exterior design, then wrap it around a 30 inch electronic wiz-bang dash and George Jetson interior.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

jaxops

Hence why I bought a 1979 to drive to work now.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

David King (kz78hy)

The USA car will be built in the USA.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold