News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need to identify this, not sure now what it's from.

Started by Cadman-iac, August 07, 2020, 02:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

I was going through some of my stash of parts and found these. It's been over 40 years since I took them of of whatever it was, and I remember thinking that maybe I could fit them into my 56 Chevy at the time to customize it.  That never happened of course,  but now I'm left with these two heater controls and no idea what they came from. I remember the salvage yard that I got em from,  and it's been out of business for probably 30 years now.
Can anyone tell me if by some chance these are Cadillac pieces? If so, I'm guessing early 50's.
The only other thing that I can think they might be from is a mid 50's Oldsmobile, but I can't swear to that either.
Any help would be appreciated. I still have no need for them, and it's about time I let someone who needs them use em.
I figure with the storage bill for 40 years,  they are worth about $2500. each now. LOL!!! Kidding of course.
I have taken them apart and cleaned them both, hoping to maybe find some numbers on them that would help me identify what they are from,  but neither has even one number on it.
They are very well designed and built, as you can see by the pictures.  It would be a shame to put them back in a box and forget about them for another 40 years.

Anyway,  if you think you know what they are, please let me know. Many thanks,

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

fishnjim

I'm thinking tri-five Chevy.   The '56 has a similar heater control, but different knobs and slider positions.   So would probably fit as described.   Search dash pictures.

Cadman-iac

Quote from: fishnjim on August 08, 2020, 09:13:58 AM
I'm thinking tri-five Chevy.   The '56 has a similar heater control, but different knobs and slider positions.   So would probably fit as described.   Search dash pictures.
Jim,
I had at least a dozen different tri- fives, mostly 56's,  as that's my favorite.  Yes, it's similar,  but it doesn't fit. Back then I didn't know much about welding or bodywork and I wasn't going to hack the dash to try to make it fit.
I wish I could remember what the car was that I removed it from. The only thing I do recall is that it was a GM vehicle from the 50's.
The second unit I found at either a yard sale or a swap meet, and I bought it because I had the one already,  but the guy I got it from didn't know what it was for either.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Ohjai

Looks to me that it can be used by a football coach to control the game.  There is a FAN control, DEFence control and even one for OFFence.   :)
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Ohjai on August 08, 2020, 09:32:29 AM
Looks to me that it can be used by a football coach to control the game.  There is a FAN control, DEFence control and even one for OFFence.   :)

You know a coach who could use one?
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

So I'm guessing that since no one has identified these as being from a Cadillac, they must be from another GM line.
I know that they are GM, as I wouldn't have tried to "convert" my car with pieces from Ford or Chrysler, or any other American makes.
  There were some Cadillacs in the salvage yard when I got this thing.
I know that I had pulled window regulators from a 56 Olds Holiday (I think that's the name) to add power windows to my 56 Chevy,  so it's possible that this is also from the same car, I just don't remember honestly. Again, this was 40 years ago.
But thanks to all who tried to identify it, I appreciate the effort.

Rick
CLC# 32373

TMoore - NTCLC

I think you can strike the 56 Oldsmobile off of your list - they appear to have had a rounded frame and different control arrangement:

Cadman-iac

Quote from: TMoore - NTCLC on August 10, 2020, 02:29:45 PM
I think you can strike the 56 Oldsmobile off of your list - they appear to have had a rounded frame and different control arrangement:
Crud! Well, that narrows it down to either a Buick,  a Pontiac,  or a different year olds I guess.
Thanks for at least eliminating the 56 Olds. I appreciate that. Do you have an Olds,  or were you able to find a picture of one? And if it's just the picture,  where may I ask did you find it?
I don't remember where I saw it, but someplace I saw a book that showed something like 10 or 20 years of different dashboard designs,  but I don't think it was a complete listing of all of them, or it may have been a magazine article.
That's what I need in order to find out what this thing is I guess.

And nobody thinks this is a Cadillac part huh? 
CLC# 32373

Cadillac Fleetwood

You can cross all the Buicks from 1950 through 1960, inclusive, off the list.  It isn't from a Buick.

I'm thinking a Chevrolet or GMC truck from the Second Series 1955 through about 1958 - but not sure.

Charles Fares

Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

J. Gomez

Quote from: Cadman-iac on August 10, 2020, 03:53:20 PM
Crud! Well, that narrows it down to either a Buick,  a Pontiac,  or a different year olds I guess.
Thanks for at least eliminating the 56 Olds. I appreciate that. Do you have an Olds,  or were you able to find a picture of one? And if it's just the picture,  where may I ask did you find it?
I don't remember where I saw it, but someplace I saw a book that showed something like 10 or 20 years of different dashboard designs,  but I don't think it was a complete listing of all of them, or it may have been a magazine article.
That's what I need in order to find out what this thing is I guess.

And nobody thinks this is a Cadillac part huh?

Richard,

Maybe this will be more of a homework for you  ;D; maybe you can find it somewhere in here..!

https://www.sites.google.com/site/identifyinginstrumentpanels/

There are other links on the left side panel as well for other items.   ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadman-iac

Charles, thank you for your response. I do know it's not from the second series Chevy trucks,  as I've had a few of those as well. My family had an aftermarket parts business for many years selling stuff for the tri-five Chevys as well as for the trucks from 47 to 72, so I'm familiar with all of those. They do look similar in appearance to the ones in the 55, 56 Chevy cars with the deluxe heater, just not quite as curved at the bottom.
Now I can cross the Buicks of the list too.
I could swear it's from a 50's GM car, but for the life of me I can't remember which one.
I'm going to have a look at my "library" again and see if I can find that collection of different dashboards.
Thanks again for your information.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Quote from: J. Gomez on August 10, 2020, 05:08:06 PM
Richard,

Maybe this will be more of a homework for you  ;D; maybe you can find it somewhere in here..!

https://www.sites.google.com/site/identifyinginstrumentpanels/

There are other links on the left side panel as well for other items.   ;)

Good luck..!

Jose,
Thanks for the link, I'll definitely give it a try. I don't see anything on heater or a/c controls, but they say you can send them a picture and they will try to identify it. That's better than what I've been able to find so far. I'll let you know if I have any success with them.
Thanks again,

Rick
CLC# 32373