News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle hand throttle linkage Question

Started by Joe G 12138, August 08, 2020, 09:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe G 12138

I'm in the process of putting a period style  Stromberg carb on the '37 . The previous incorrect carb had no provision or arm for the hand throttle  cable to connect to. The control cable was hacked off near the firewall, with no clue to routing, anchoring, or attachment .  The shop manual doesn't show a view of the passenger side of the engine. Could someone be so kind as to post a picture to give me a clue as to what I'm trying to accomplish?   THX   Joe Gibeault

KenZ

I have a 1936 Cadillac that is similar.  The picture shows how the throttle cable is routed from the top of the fire wall to a bracket on the intake manifold over to the throttle arm.  Plenty of 1937 owners that can probably provide more year specific info.  Also, see attached link.  I purchased a throttle cable assembly for mine that is slightly short for the bigger series cars.  May work on your LaSalle if you are considering an original.  We could probably work something out if you are interested. 
Good Luck,  KenZ
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=160620.msg467164#msg467164

carlhungness

I too have an extra throttle cable assembly for a '37 with knob if someone needs it, no bracket. Not sure if the cable is stuck in this one or not. I was able to free up one of the two I had by soaking with 50-50 acetone-trans-fluid over a couple week period.

Joe G 12138

Thanks Ken for the picture! That is what I needed to know. I would have never guessed it ran UNDER the exhaust manifold without seeing it. I don't have the bracket, but now know what I have to build. I also see a heat shield; I've been thinking of making one similar. Does it help with the vapor lock situation?  That's the main objective of this  carburetor / fuel line / heat control project I'm working on. I want that car to be reliable
       Ken / Carl : I'll get back to later on those throttle cable offers later on in the project after I figure out what I really need for length. Thank you both for letting me know they are available!   Joe Gibeault

KenZ

Joe,
Cannot really say how much the heat shield helps but thought it was a good idea when I observed one on another flathead.  I really don't have vapor lock issue and do not utilize an electric pump.  After my fuel pump was rebuilt noticed easier starting when hot. Lots of dialog on forum regarding vapor lock............. 

Carl,
What is the over all length to your cable?  See my previous link.  Thanks,  Ken           

carlhungness

Just hand surgery on my right hand to repair tendons and carpal tunnel so out of commission for a little while. I'll get a measurement on the cables soon.