News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cool ebay item - model car

Started by cadillacmike68, August 09, 2020, 05:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Check this ebay item out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224111883155

That's right, I bought it. - But not for $999...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Lexi

Wow. That is mega bucks for 1/43rd scale. It must be of extreme high quality. If you dare to take it out of the box upon arrival, please post some pictures. Congratulations on your purchase Mike, it looks awesome. Clay/Lexi

Clewisiii

Quick pic before the listing disappeared
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

chrisntam

1:43 scale is 4" to 4.5" long.

Are you sure on this one?  That's about $250 an inch.

Big Rolla!

:D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

I am acquainted with the vendor. He had ordered one in this color scheme for me from whoever makes them for him.  He listed it with that price so nobody would buy it. I bought it for about a tenth of that.

This is the spitting image of my car.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Note the title of the ebay listing.  8)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jason Edge

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on August 09, 2020, 08:59:52 PM
I am acquainted with the vendor. He had ordered one in this color scheme for me from whoever makes them for him.  He listed it with that price so nobody would buy it. I bought it for about a tenth of that.

This is the spitting image of my car.
Man, it's too late in the day for me to figure this one out. Ok.. here is my foot in my mouth --> Why even list it via eBay? Why not just sell it direct to you for agreed upon price? Also, the last time I checked, (or paid my monthly sellers fees), eBay gets a 10% fee for stated selling price. If seller charged you only 10% of the stated "sold price" does that mean he sold it to you for X/10 and then will give eBay x/10 in fees when his monthly fees are due, meaning he nets nothing?
I'm guessing I'm just having a very dense moment here.
...and I'm not a tattle tale but eBay has some pretty strict rules about such tactics. I sell occasionally on ebay, try to play by the rules and give them their fair cut. I guess I am missing something.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

cadillacmike68

Jason,

He listed it as BIN with the make an offer option. He listed it high so no one would bother with it except me.  I offered what we agreed and he accepted it. The ebay fee is based on the final value price. I'm sure he paid an extra $1 for the buy it now option. I also paid for shipping it. He's an experienced ebay seller, he knew what he was doing. All ebay rules were followed. It was listed, an offer made, accepted and paid via ebay / paypal. He didn't lose any $ but he didn't make a lot either.

Do you know Lowell Carlson? He used to live here in FL, in St Pete. He moved to NC a number of years ago.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jason Edge

OK. So seller listed with BIN with Make offer option. So seller get 90% cut of final agreed price, and eBay gets their 10% cut.  I am still confused by why eBay was used at all.  You stated:
Quote from: cadillacmike68 on August 09, 2020, 08:59:52 PM

Why not just contact you when the item he ordered for you came in and sell it to you out right? I've been selling 1963/64 Cadillac parts for 23 years and that would be like me having say an AM/FM radio on my Wait List for you, and I get one in, but insist that I need to put it on eBay for you to buy it. Why give eBay anything when it sounds like you had a prior arrangement for him to order this item for you. 

I usually average 400 to 500 sales a year with my side parts business and never go the eBay route ... just don't see the point in giving them money when you don't have to. I understand the point of putting stuff out there when you need to advertise something and there is no better way than eBay, but sounds like you had a prior plan to purchase. Just to add, I've been "trickle selling" odds & ends on eBay for 20 years and greatly value their service, but I use it for odds and ends where people cannot otherwise find me or know I have something for sale.

Lowell is a good friend in our Carolina Region.  I believe he lives in Hickory, NC now.  I should be seeing him again at our Aug 15 meet-up next Saturday.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

cadillacmike68

I'm not That well acquainted with him. Sort of ebay pen pals.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jason Edge

Sounds like the seller is "glued to eBay!"  I'm sure eBay is happy with that. Regardless, congrats on the fantastic addition to your collection. Looks like a very nice piece.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

cadillacmike68

It came in. Here are a few pics.  The car is about 5 & 1/4 inches long. Pretty god detail. I like the wood on the door panels and it's the same dark blue seats as my car.
For comparison is one of my car's interior showing the wood panels.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Lexi

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

All this time I thought Mike '68 was white...learned something new today.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

59-in-pieces

Mike,

I don't know this source for models - but for your post - so thanks.
I don't want to board the eBay speculation train, rather appreciate how it works, and your luck in finding what you wanted, no matter the gyrations.

Confession time - I am an eBay "hore" (sensor avoidance) - but on the buyer side, with over 1,200 purchases (100% approval = pays my bills)- NOT MEANT AS A BRAG - YES I HAVE SINNED (many times).
But, my redemption, excuse, is that it is in search of "Unobtainium" 47 - 57 - 59 Cadillac car parts.
Glad I got that off my chest/shoulders.

Now down to business.
Mike, where did you get your acrylic show boxes, and do they come in a size that will display 1/12 scale 59 Eldorados: red, pink, white.
Mine are getting so dusty, they look like Chia-Pets (spelling ?).

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 14, 2020, 09:19:33 AM
All this time I thought Mike '68 was white...learned something new today.

Eric,  Everyone thinks it's white at first. It needs a certain light to really bring out the arctic blue.

These pics taken in HDR mode bring out the blue nicely. The white on the number plate and sidewalls provides the contrast. That's usually what I have to point out to folks in overcast skies or especially at night when it really does look white.

I tell them: "think of the color of the iceberg that sank the Titanic".

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on August 14, 2020, 11:33:35 AM
Mike,

I don't know this source for models - but for your post - so thanks.
I don't want to board the eBay speculation train, rather appreciate how it works, and your luck in finding what you wanted, no matter the gyrations.

Confession time - I am an eBay "hore" (sensor avoidance) - but on the buyer side, with over 1,200 purchases (100% approval = pays my bills)- NOT MEANT AS A BRAG - YES I HAVE SINNED (many times).
But, my redemption, excuse, is that it is in search of "Unobtainium" 47 - 57 - 59 Cadillac car parts.
Glad I got that off my chest/shoulders.

Now down to business.
Mike, where did you get your acrylic show boxes, and do they come in a size that will display 1/12 scale 59 Eldorados: red, pink, white.
Mine are getting so dusty, they look like Chia-Pets (spelling ?).

Have fun,
Steve B.

Steve. It Came in that acrylic box. and in an outer glossy box that is cut open on the side and top.

The seller is toycargek. He has a few Cadillac models up at present. We were messaging and I wrote about a different car and asked half in jest "where are the 1968 DeVille Convertibles?"  He replied stating that that year / model was coning up in a run. And then it did, and so I bought it. I like it. I have a an old (1968 manufacture) Johan promo car but it;s a medium blue (metallic), it was the only 1968 DVC I could find on fleabay at the time. There was on in Arctic Blue, but the seller wanted over $200 for it and a model was not high on my list of priorities back then. I also have a Johan kit that I never built (actually 2 kits because the first one was missing a few pieces), but the kit quality is poor, lots of flash on the molded parts. I could build it, I did model cars, tanks ships, aircraft as a kid, but I don't really have the patience right now.

I also have several Hot Wheels, slight larger than the ones 50 years ago, including a couple coupes in arctic blue with a white roof. It's close enough to a DVC with the top up, so I keep one in the glove box and put it on the front armrest at shoes.

I'd like to put this one out, but I'll have to stay with the car the entire time or it will sprout wings.

I'm mostly a buyer there as well. I've sold a few things but not there. 1968, while hard for some parts is a lot easier to find parts for than a 40s or 50s car.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

59-in-pieces

Mike,

It's OK that in your pics your car eclipses the red 59 Cad convertible.
Why - because the interior is BOTCHED - the HORROR.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

cadillacmike68

Yeah, That's my friend Gary's car. Mine is nicer but his is still worth twice as much because it's a 1959!?!?!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

59-in-pieces

Do I detect some FIN ENVY.

You're right, I love me those fins.

Have. fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

cadillacmike68

Steve, 1968 is the oldest I'll go in Cadillac for a number of reasons.

The 59s look great from behind or a rear quarter view, but the front is too far over the top. I never liked it.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike