News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1977 DeVille hot start problem

Started by Koa, August 12, 2020, 04:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koa

Hi everyone,
my 77 Deville does not crank when hot. Battery good, wires checked, Can the starter motor be the cause? When cold it cranks like new.
77 Coupe DeVille 425 ci - federal, red+ white interior
78 Fleetwood Brougham 425 ci - California, white + red int.
98 DeVille with the famous Northstar engine
32 Tatra 57  -  do You know that?

Roger Zimmermann

I know that 70s cars, the cable from the positive pole going to the starter motor can oxidize under its protective isolator. Maybe its the same for your car.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dan LeBlanc

Roger is pointing you in the right direction.  Take the cable off from the battery to the starter and check for resistance with a multimeter.  You should have no resistance.  Any resistance would indicate the cable is corroded internally.  Couple the resistance with a heat-soaked starter, and you're in the situation you describe now.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

Another way to prove the issue is the cable is if you can access it reasonably and have clamp on clips is to set your volt meter up on volts DC with one wire at the battery and the other at the starter.   In theory you should read zero volts because all the power is going through the wire.   THe more volts you read there that means there is resistance somewhere between the leads.   If you are reading more than a volt or two during cranking you have cable issues. 

Don't forget about grounds too.   For testing take jumper cables and go from neg on the battery to something like the alternator or some other unpainted part of the engine.  If that helps then you know you have a ground issue.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Koa

Thank You guys for Your advise.
Noone suspects the starter motor??
All atention should be pointed to the wires?
77 Coupe DeVille 425 ci - federal, red+ white interior
78 Fleetwood Brougham 425 ci - California, white + red int.
98 DeVille with the famous Northstar engine
32 Tatra 57  -  do You know that?

TJ Hopland

My experience is a bad starter won't be that much different hot and cold. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason