News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59/60 Authenticity Manual

Started by Blade, August 13, 2020, 10:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade

Is there still no authenticity manual available for the 59/60s?

76eldo

Seems crazy but there is no manual for these cars.
When a 69/60 chapter was started I was going to try to get involved to help do a manual.
I asked the main club for an opportunity to review what was already started by others and was basically snubbed so I backed out.

It’s a big job and I guess no one is really working on it.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Blade

Hi Brian .. thank you, kind of surprised seeing all kinds of manuals available for nearly all years (even just for the '73 Pace Cars alone) yet these iconic cars not having any, and sad to hear that even those offering help get discouraged ..  :'(. I hope this will be resolved and soon we'll be able to finally get the long awaited manual!

76eldo

For all the popularity of the 59 (and 60) models it seems like that would have been the first one out.

The club should tap some of the experienced members while they are still around to assist.  There are still some interesting originals cars around to use as examples.

I will eagerly purchase a copy when it's available.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Greenburg

IIRC, '59-'60 are the only postwar years for which there is no manual, despite the popularity of those years. There is supposedly a partial draft around somewhere, but it has not been made available to those interested in moving it forward. Over the last 20 years or so, this issue has been raised a number of times, but somehow, nothing ever happens.     
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like nobody is prepared to simply take the plunge and produce one, and possibly because they might run the risk of having to continually issue reprints as items are found to be incorrect, or new stuff found.

I can see if one was produced, and parts were wrong, the author would get picked to pieces.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I led the 38 to 40 V-16 Manual in the early 2000's.  The process to get these done at the time started with the Technical Directory and now it seems this job has been combined with the Chief Judge.  Ultimately the Board would be responsible for getting these done.  The first comment is if it is 100% correct you will never get done since there will always be a few items unknowable.  In my case I do not remember exactly how it started but Pete Peters, Technical Directory in the early 2000's asked me to volunteer.  At the time I was working overseas and had time to kill and could not work on cars, so it seemed like a good thing to do.  I had completed two restorations of late V-16's at that time.  The format had been worked out and I think we copied the 41 manual for the layout.  Now there are many layouts already existing so even more electronic cut and pasting can be done.  The first draft was worked out with two of us, Terry Wenger and me.  We would discuss details and write information the best we could.  Then the manual was printed as a draft and reviewed by a committee.  In this case all committee members were either owners of the cars or previous owners of these cars.  The review process is the key to getting things correct.  Comments received are discussed and if agreement cannot be reached it can be written as so in the manual.  The correctness is a group effort and not in the hands of anyone person.  I know nothing about 59 and 60’s but there is obviously a lot of knowledge on this message board as well as probably others not on it for that review process.  If the status of the manual cannot be found out seems like a conversation with your board representative would be the route to go and volunteer to help on the project.     
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hello Brad:

Just a clarification as to your comment.  The "Board" has
nothing to do with getting Authenticity Manuals finished.

That falls under the Chief Judge / Technical Director Bill
Anderson.  All somebody needs to do is phone Bill and
express an interest to do a manual.  This, of course,
involves finding a group of 4-5 volunteers who are willing
to devote the time and effort.  Unless somebody makes
that call and gets the ball rolling, there will never be
a 59/60 manual.

It would be very difficult for one person can write an
Authenticity Manual.  There is just so much detail that
no matter how well you know a given year, you're
going to miss things.

There are plenty of finished manuals available now to
use as a template for what is needed, the layout, etc.

I worked on the first manual for Class 15 with Pete Peters
and a few other volunteers in 1997.  It was a great learning
experience.  Pete developed that format and we filled in the
blanks.  After half a dozen rewrites, we had a finished product.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region