News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

No Power Brakes

Started by 2danreed, August 13, 2020, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2danreed

Took my '64 Cadillac out for a bit today and half way home lost power brakes. Still had brakes just took more pedal effort than you're accustomed to. Once home and not in noisy traffic I could clearly hear a "hiss" from under the dash every time I pressed the brake pedal. I crawled under the dash and quickly found that the "hiss" was coming from the rubber boot that the brake rod passes through. Another interesting thing that happens each time I pressed the pedal was a slight increase in engine RPMs, just as if I pulled a vacuum hose on and off. So, does this mean a bad booster? It is the only component not replaced when I did the brake system last year. 
Dan Reed

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Sounds like a booster fail to me.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Cadman-iac

Yes, the diaphragm is bad in the booster.  When you press on the pedal,  it's letting air from inside the car into your booster,  which decreases the assist you get from the vacuum. Plus it's like pulling a hose off of the carb, the engine sees an intake leak and increases speed.
Replacement is the only option you have in this case.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

2danreed

Thanks guys, I assumed that may be the case, but in all my Cadillac driving years that's the first time I had a booster go bad, so I wasn't 100 percent sure.
Dan Reed